cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Multibody - How to save out a single body to .stp, .stl?

No ratings

Hello everyone and welcome to another blog post in this multibody blog series.

This is a mini-post based on a question that I received:
“If I have a designed a multibody model, how can I save out a single body to STEP , .STL or any other format?”

The answer is pretty straightforward and involves either the remove-body feature (see blog post #10) or construction bodies (see blog post #13) or derived models (see blog post #12 and later).

Method #1:

• Remove all other bodies using the remove-body feature
  • Export(“Save A Copy”) the model to your desired format
  • Undo the remove / delete the remove-body feature / suppress the remove-body feature

Method #2:

• Set all other bodies to “Construction body”
  • Invoke Export(“Save A Copy”) the model to your desired format
  • Open the “Options”-menu in the “Save A Copy” dialog and ensure the Construction Body checkbox is unchecked
  • Finishing the operation will then only save the remaining (non-construction) body
  • The problem here might be that you need to remember which bodies to unset as construction afterwards if applicable

Method #3:

• Create a derived model that only contains the body to be saved
  • The easiest way to do this would be to select the body and then invoke “Create part from body” from the right mouse button menu. This creates a new part only containing the selected body allowing you to export it on its own

Or

• Create new part and bring the desired body into the new part manually by using  the “External Copy Geometry” feature

Thanks for reading.  I hope it was informative.
If you liked it, give it a Kudo.

Back to Creo 7.0 & 8.0+ Multibody Home: Start Here!

Enjoy!....Martin

Version history
Last update:
‎Oct 11, 2021 12:46 PM
Updated by:
Labels (2)