Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini tripod for 3D printing

Highlighted

Mini tripod for 3D printing

With the government pushing 3D printers, how long before we see schools 3D printing flat shapes to slot together or a pupil 3D printing a rectangular box they could have bought for half the price from RS or Rapid!

So what sort of projects make good use of 3D printers? How about a small folding tripod?

The attached model has a conventional 1/4 Whitworth thread bolt for mounting the camera. Some of you may be thinking "where is the design in this". Apart from redesigning the components, very few smart phones have a thread mount so challenge students to create an attachment that screws on to hold their smart phone.

The model hasn't been 3D printed yet so if you have a 3D printer and could print a set of parts to check everything works that would be great. Better still if someone could print and send me a set of parts that would be fantastic!  Would anyone with a 3D printer be interested in co-writing an article for D&TA?

See the video of the tripod folding here: http://communities.ptc.com/videos/4416

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Mini tripod for 3D printing

Ruth Thompson in Australia is going to try it out on their Dimension 768SST 3D printer. The soluble support should make it possible to create the internal and external threads.

I will post all offers here plus the make of machine and any feedback on the results so we can compare the quality fo parts each machine produces.

Participant

Tim - I've just had a look at your model...

I was going to attempt a print from my single extruder Rapman but due to the overhangs on parts and lack of flat base surfaces it wont be possible.

The design of your parts is only suitable for a fused deposition modeller that has a support material extruder (something like PLA that can be washed away in lye) as well as the model material extruder (ABS).

It would print fine from a granular materials binding type machine like a Zprinter but not many schools have those.

Rgds,

James

James, many thanks for the feedback. I can see how the legs and central boss could have one side flat so no support material needed. Do you think the external thread would build properly?  The cap could have a perfectly flat top for building upside down but the thread may still be the problem.

The Cube and UP! use build plastic as support but with tiny attachment points.  Does the Rapman have that facility?

Do you think it would be worthwhile collating what comes in to produce guidance notes for students on modelling for the capabilities of the different machines and, advice for schools purchasing 3D printers?  The problem with the latter is we don;t have access to all the technologies and the rate new printers are coming out.

There is a new DFE initiative to supply a number of 3D printers to Teaching Schools. This will need some training in the use of 3D CAD and support resources as Tim suggests. D&TA already have this on the radar!

Participant

I've been test printing the central boss this morning. I found that KISSslicer does enable a less dense support material with one extruder. The settings I used were too "dense" though so the support got stuck in the thread! I think it will print without support. I'll set it running again later.

Oh to be in England and have funding for 3D printing and CAM!

James

Don't be too envious, the DfE funded 20+ printers for the pilot schools and has promised printers for the teaching schools taking over from ITT in universities. Most schools will have to fight for school budgets alongside other subjects or seek sponsorship.

Can't wait to see the first pictures with trainers on 3 continents 3D printing the parts in England, Scotland, North America and Australia...

Participant

Settings need adjustment to removed the "pilling" and the thread has "sagged". I'll try the cap and see if I can get the threads engaged.

boss.jpg

James, You are the first with pictures!  I see what you mean by thread sagging. 

Dave White modifed the design for single extruder with more conventional thread angles.  This might help. His files can be downloaded here - http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-4565