Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini tripod for 3D printing

Re: Mini tripod for 3D printing

I just received from the PTC Fort Collins office two sets of parts made on a Stratysys Dimension SST machine.  Many thanks Chris, they look really good.

Watch this space for a report on how well the parts go together...

Stratysys_Dimension_SST_parts_640x427.jpg

Apart from the threads being too tight the model went together straight out of the box.

A few minutes with a needle file on the external thread had it working fine.

IMG_2555_640x427.jpg

A 1/4" BSW bolt was super glued inside the cap and a piece of bicycle inner tube glued on a 'penny washer' before being trimmed.

IMG_2556_640x427.jpg

Until I can source roll pins I am using M4 cheese head machine screws. The finished model works a treat.

IMG_2558_640x427.jpg

IMG_2560_640x427.jpg

The legs can be clamped at different angles to cope with sloping surfaces and/or tilt the camera.

IMG_2562_640x427.jpg 

Modifications - An acme thread profile suggested by Dave White with more clearance will remove the need for fettling. I will make the changes and post the revised models here.

Participant

Brilliant work Tim something real from a 3D printer

Much of the stuff af the 3D print show was plastic nick-nacks with a few gems of really useful objects. We need some good examples to inspire teachers.

This is a Yr11 pupil project straight off the 3D printer so still needs to be finished and components fitted etc. Every layer joins together using locating pins. It is an iPod dock. One of about 130 projects that will be 3D printed this year. Also some good work integrating the makerbot this year in Product Design & Resistant Materials. KS3 work using the Makerbot is also progressing but we need more machines to run with the entire year group of 270!! I will try to upload some examples soon

IMG_3778.jpgIMG_3786.JPGIMG_3783.JPG