Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NC Machinist

Highlighted

NC Machinist

Hello everyone, has anyone spent time with Expert machinist or NC machinist.

We have many cnc machines in our schools not used due to lack of appropriate software. These lathes and mills are typically FANUC controllers. I would appreciate anyones experiences in this area, even if it was a waste of time due to any limitations with Academic.

Thanks

PeterT

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2

Re: NC Machinist

Hi Peter,

Most schools export an STL file from their 3D modeller and import it into the wizzard based post processors that come with most CNC equipment. For example Roland machines come with Modela Player. This technique covers most school projects and gives good results without the teacher or students needing to know NC routines or coding.

If schools have purchased hobby or industrial equipment they may not come with post processors but there are several wizzard based post processors. Boxford's Excellent 3D GeoCAM is available with a Fanuc mill output file format.

The Academic Edition of PTC Creo comes with full turning, milling and sheet metal NC capability and we have post processors for a number of industrial machines and several education makes including Roland, Boxford and Denford. Academic users in schools can register for Precision LMS e-learning which includes modules on; milling and turning for Creo 2.0.

Attached is a guide listing the NC post processors we have for industrial mills and the method of setting them up. The downloads may be internal to PTC so teachers should contact academic support with full make, model and spec of the machine they have.

www.ptc.com/go/academic-support

Thanks
Tim

Re: NC Machinist

STL all good Tim, but I am after driving the older machines, Fanuc controllers, lathes and mills, straight out of Creo. From what you say it can be done. If anyone has expereince actually doing it I would love to hear their experiences..

I will need a post for Fanuc Mill and Fanuc Lathe. I see how I can edit these.

anychance you have a couple of posts you can email me?

I will also read that document from UK gov re 3D printers however.

cheers

PeterT