cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTC and Creo in the UK the future?

Highlighted
Participant

PTC and Creo in the UK the future?

Sorry about the rant but I don’t know if any of you are feeling the same but!

The loss of Tim Brotherhood is starting to have an effect. I am proud to say that the UK has produced excellent results in schools that are using CAD software and feel that if the transition of losing Tim is not correctly managed successfully a lot of schools will defect to rivals software.

In the UK Spaceclaim and Soildworks are on the rise and are marketing the software to school regally. But in reality cannot compete with the function that Creo offers.

My question is what is the future for PTC and Creo in UK schools and Education, how is the hard work of many Teachers and Students going to be safeguarded.

The regular trainer meetings hosted by Tim were so valuable as they gave experienced professionals a chance to get together and share in good practice which would could then disseminate down to our local schools and pupils.

With Rapid Prototyping becoming more affordable to schools, for example 20 schools in Stoke on Trent will soon be getting a Rapman Z18 for FREE as part of a KMF competition this is a key time for CAD/CAM in schools and need to be maximised for future generations so that the UK does not fall behind other countries in the continuing development of CAD/CAM.

Thoughts Please???

3 REPLIES 3
Participant

Re: PTC and Creo in the UK the future?

Simon, I am as equally confused.

Research over many years has shown that adoption of 3D modelling software is much more successful when teachers attend training.

We know from experience, simply giving the software to schools will lead to confusion, bad modelling practice and poor implementation. That's why compulsory training was introduced by PTC/DfE/D&TA well over a decade ago and why Autodesk is offering (free!) training for teachers as well as free software.

In my view, removing the need for schools to have a trained teacher is a retrograde step by PTC and will lead to unhappy teachers who defect to competing 3D modelling software where they are shown how to use it effectively.

Participant

Sorry for the grabelled rant before. But was hitting a brick wall with contact to PTC in last month or so only Laurentiu has been of any help. My worry/dilemma is will we need to change to a different modelling software which will offer better support for teachers in the UK. Which I have to say before June was first class. If it is to be trainer lead the PTC needs to liaise with us trainers to ensure that Creo is available and used by schools with a proper support network. Knowing most trainers we are an ameanable bunch able to offer support and advice to schools but also each other. But it should be PTC who are responsible for ensuring that UK schools do not suffer through PTC's internal restructuring.

As I mentioned before there is a huge push in Stoke on Trent for CAD/CAM thanks to KMF. ( a PTC Creo user). But the software and training is solid edge. I know out of two which I will use. But I have to now question for how much longer.

In a years time will I still want or need to use Creo as other software providers are circling to take avantage of a huge mistake PTC has made in not continuing to support the UK with a dedicated UK based manager.

Second rant over

Participant

I'm reading with interest here and have to say I'm in agreement. It's such a shame that here in Scotland people are starting to realise some of the issues with a Creo competitors software and the new curriculum. Ironic that at a time when interest is increasing, support from on high has been unclear. Everything seems to refer to K12 which has little meaning to the UK. Even Develop3D are paying more interest in PTC products.

Rgds

James