Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solidworks models in Creo

Solidworks models in Creo

Hi everyone.

I have been sent some Solidworks models and tried to open them in Creo Parametric 2. The filenames are the same type as Creo has listed in the open command ie .sldprt but I get the message sayin g the files cannot be opened because the files are too new.

Has anyone come across this and is there a work around?

A zip copy of the files in question is attached.

Cheers

Andy

3 REPLIES 3
Level 1

Re: Solidworks models in Creo

Andrew - or should I say bro (my surname is also Moore)

I have just extracted your zip file and I could open it in a 2011 industrial version of SolidWorks, Saved it as a ProE prt file and it opened in Creo2, but without and datum planes.

So tried opening the SLDPRT file in Creo2 and again it opened as a 'complete item' - without andy features in the model tree. However it did have datum planes and could be used to analyze and as the basis for a new model.

You could do exactly the same with the stl file extracted from the zip.

I am still using M010 and had no error message when opeining the file. SolidWorks does often update files when opened and saved in a later version - probably to force customers to pay for the upgrades!

Keep up the good work

Paul Moore

Highlighted

Thanks Paul.

I tried that and some of the models sent did in fact open. Some however will not!

I have just discovered a free download of Solidworks explorer which is supposed to stop the problem and allow even the newest files to open in Creo, its called Solidworks Explorer and is completely free. I believe it updates the dll in question so if it works could be worth spreading the word to schools who liase with others who simply will not move to Creo (although I don't know why they won').

Will add an update here if it works.

Andy

Just found the work around I mentioned earlier works.

If you have a Solidworks model sent that you want to open in Creo and it simply will not play ball, download solidworks explorer from here:

http://www.solidworks.co.uk/sw/products/free-cad-software-downloads.htm

and it updates the solidworks dlls in Creo that allow it to open these models and the latest files will be opened.

There are options for different versions by year, use the 2013 version as the 2014 is still in Beta and will not work.

Creo is now opening any file no matter how new.

Just need to convince schools using Solidworks to change to Creo which is far better and gives us trainers a bit more income!