cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Creo View Markup Method Compatibility

0 Kudos

Creo View Markup Method Compatibility

The Creo View Native PDF Viewer and embedded Adobe mark-up capabilities are not interchangeable.  Mark-ups made using the traditional Adobe tool set, are missing or are incorrectly displayed when opened in a Creo View session which is set to "Use Native Viewer for PDF Files"

Please add a pop-up for the user, when opening a mark-up made with the incompatible method.  Possibly allowing the user to switch to the correct startup methods on the fly.    (Creo View 8.0.0.0 Built 27)

6 Comments
olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Clarification Needed

Thank you @N.Barnes for publishing your idea. However, we need more information as specified in the form you saw in the submission process. (questions below). The more details and context you give to document your idea, the better. Think about ways to educate and convince other Community members to support your idea and present your case to the product management team for consideration. For your reference, here is an example of a well documented idea: mass_property_calculate should NOT create new iter... - PTC Community

Please let us know within the next two weeks.

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
2. What product & version are you currently running?
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
4. What is the use case for your organization?
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?

Additionally, I invite you to check out this topic where PTC executives explain product managers' approach to customer ideas and input for product roadmaps.

N.Barnes
11-Garnet

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.

Mechanical design of high end hardware.  I’m a mechanical engineering lead creating and reviewing drawings for production release.

2. What product & version are you currently running?

Creo View 8.0.0.0 Built 27

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.

The Creo View Native PDF Viewer and embedded Adobe mark-up capabilities are not interchangeable.  Mark-ups made using the traditional Adobe tool set, are missing or are incorrectly displayed when opened in a Creo View session which is set startup using the "Use Native Viewer for PDF Files" option.

Please add a pop-up for the user, when opening a mark-up made with the incompatible method.  Possibly allowing the user to switch to the correct startup methods on the fly.   

4. What is the use case for your organization?

During design review the mark-up capabilities are an excellent way to communicate design feedback, but the interoperate issues between modes can hamper the team workflow.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?

The inconsistent behavior between Creo View methods can cause misses during drawing review.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you, @N.Barnes, for the additional information you provided. We are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

vdegaonkar
14-Alexandrite

Hi @N.Barnes  

Would you please provide little more details on inconsistencies observed. As Creo View carries most of information about markups created in Adobe based views to  to native pdf viewing. 

If there are any Tech Support cased already raised, it would be helpful if you can share so we can review the same as well. 

thank you,

Varad 

N.Barnes
11-Garnet

@vdegaonkar  I created a test mark-up with a variety of shapes in the Non-Native PDF mode.   Then closed and re-opened in the "Use Native Viewer for PDF Files" mode.    None of the mark-ups show up. We don't have the native viewer annotation license deployed yet (planned for a future deployment).  I can see that being a factor, but I still I think a pop-up should appear that lets me know I'm not seeing data.    Also, your statement that "most of the information" is carried over could be another  reason to have a pop-up saying the user "may" be missing information.   

And in either of the cases above it would be really cool if the pop-up menu could automatically open a Creo View session using the non-native tools without having to change the menu options manually.     "The annotation set was created using non-native pdf tools, some data may not be shown would you like to open a using the non-native pdf tools.   Yes/No/Continue"

FYI_1: We are still on Creo View 8.0.0.0 Built 27.

FYI_2: I did change back to non-native mode, close/reopen to confirm that the annotations were saved to Windchill.

FYI_3: The image below shows the marking made in the non-native pdf viewer.

mark-ups.jpg   

vdegaonkar
14-Alexandrite

@N.Barnes Thank you for more details. This gives a little more context. 

If you did not setup Creo View PDF Review license I would recommond to do so that will enable you marking up PDF documents without requirement of Adobe Reader enablement. 

But in case if you would want to view pre-markuped up annotation set, this should be possible. Viewing of annotation set does not require a specific license, you would need license when you want to add markups. Ofcourse to view markups you would need to activate an Annotation Set.

So if you are still not able to view markups then I would recommend you raise a Tech Support case and understand point of failure as well try with latest Creo View release too.

The reason there is no pop-up or auto fall back provided because we expect markups created in old scheme shall work as is with new Native Viewing of PDF. And if anything specific is not working then we would like to know more about the same. 

Thank You,

-Varad