cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Automating Drawing Sheet Creation

Ramsin_93
6-Contributor

Automating Drawing Sheet Creation

Does anyone have any tips on establishing a drawing template configured to automatically create drawing sheets based on the assembly and part names? I have an assembly structure on Windchill that i want replicated in the form of individual drawing sheets in one drawing, and preferably have the corresponding active model set and maybe a top view in the center.

Capture.PNG

I am unfamiliar with any methods besides mapkeys (which I have not been able to achieve my goal with), my main software of expertise is NX, which mainly utilizes Excel sheets and even a VBA macro recorder for automating tasks.

Any ideas or help with my challenge would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
sully7
13-Aquamarine
(To:Ramsin_93)

Hi, 

This is definitely possible with Pro/TOOLKIT (or Object Toolkit). Mapkeys would "help" get you to a half-way solution... but to get the "click-of-a-button" type solution that you are looking for, you would definitely need some customization.

There are a lot of options when it comes to APIs in Creo. These are essentially different languages that enable you to build customization. There are "free" APIs for VB, Javascript (although, I definitely don't recommend that one)... but those have very limited functionality. There are also "paid" APIs, which essentially enable you to automate the power of anything you can do "manually" -  Pro/TOOLKIT is based in C, and Object Toolkit (OTK) is based in either C++ or Java. 

Do you know if you currently have access to licenses for either? Either way, - CadActive has a lot of expertise working with automation such as this and would be able to help you define/develop a solution such as this.

Thanks,

James Sullivan

President & Founder
CadActive Technologies - www.cadactive.com
Ramsin_93
6-Contributor
(To:sully7)

Thank you.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Ramsin_93)

As mentioned, you are going to have to create (or buy) some customization.  This can definitely be done with SmartAssembly.  It looks like you could also do this fairly easily with Nitro-CELL.

Top Tags