cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

C SIZE DRAWING MARGINS creo 9

USER_09
7-Bedrock

C SIZE DRAWING MARGINS creo 9

Please no snark.  I struggle finding useful info on creo forums. I have done my due diligence. 

We have a C size drawing that the left and bottom margins are off the page.  I have struggled with how to even ask this question.  I am aware there are differences between format and template, but I don't know where to start. 

I just want to "rightsize" our C drawing template to export with correct margins, not offset as they are now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:USER_09)

See if this helps.  (Video processing may take a few minutes.)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
TomU
23-Emerald IV

It looks like someone positioned the border at the 0,0 corner of the drawing instead of shifting it up by however much border they wanted.  Easy way to tell is to turn on the grid display and look at where the origin is at.  More than likely this is set in the drawing format and will need to be adjusted there.  If you're willing to upload your C size format as an attachment (zipped), I can take a look.

USER_09
7-Bedrock
(To:TomU)

oh man.  NOOB being exposed.  Not all of us get proper creo training.  Just start running, never stop....

I'm not sure how to do that, but would be willing with help.  I'm sure the issue is my own ignorance if that helps.

I'm assuming this is the exported file (shown in your image). Could you also send a snapshot of the same drawing within Creo? There are a number of reasons this could be happening and it may take some Q&A before we zero in on the root cause. Some things I would want to check (I'm sure you have done most of these, just asking to make sure all possibilities are covered):

1. Format size - Is this a standard imperial C-size (17" x 22") with 1/2" margins?
  2. Is the "zero point" (0,0) location for the format set properly at the edge of the format or is it possibly at the inner edge of the 1/2" margin frame? (Hard to explain but hopefully you understand what I mean).
  3. What type of export are you attempting - or are all of them experiencing the same issue? For example, exporting to PDF versus printing directly to a printer. Are any of them working properly? Also... what steps are you using to produce your output. There are about 3 ways to print a PDF and sometimes the output differs.
  4. There are a host of output settings which attempt to tweak, adjust, or modify the PDF output (margins, slew, pen, offsets, labels). There are quite a few of these options which can sometimes affect your output. Do you happen to know if any of these are being tweaked or set? 
  5. Do you have a PCF file (printer configuration file) set up for the export/printer you're attempting to use? If so, please post it so we can have a look at it.
  6. If you perform a manual Preview of the export, does it display correctly. For example, if you select File->Print->Preview, does the output look correct?
  7. Do you have the print settings adjusted to generate a "Full Plot" and are the X-Offset and Y-Offset values are set to 0? 

For PDF's specifically, the problem can occur in several areas. Knocking out the easy possibilities is the best way to focus in on the actual cause. Any other information you can provide will help diagnose the issue.

Thank you!

Thank you for your reply.  I'll try and answer as best I can.

1. Format size - Is this a standard imperial C-size (17" x 22") with 1/2" margins? -Yes

2. Is the "zero point" (0,0) location for the format set properly at the edge of the format or is it possibly at the inner edge of the 1/2" margin frame?     (Hard to explain but hopefully you understand what I mean). -I don't know, nor how to check, these templates pre date my employment.

3.What type of export are you attempting - or are all of them experiencing the same issue? For example, exporting to PDF versus printing directly to a printer. Are any of them working properly? Also... what steps are you using to produce your output. There are about 3 ways to print a PDF and sometimes the output differs. -This is a .pdf export with a hotkey (PDF).  A,B,D all export fine. This issue is isolated to the C format.

4. There are a host of output settings which attempt to tweak, adjust, or modify the PDF output (margins, slew, pen, offsets, labels). There are quite a few of these options which can sometimes affect your output. Do you happen to know if any of these are being tweaked or set? - I'm pretty sure the template or formatting is isolated in the C format.  We do the same keystrokes for the A,B,D formats.

5. Do you have a PCF file (printer configuration file) set up for the export/printer you're attempting to use? If so, please post it so we can have a look at it. - I can look into that and get back with one. 

6. If you perform a manual Preview of the export, does it display correctly. For example, if you select File->Print->Preview, does the output look correct? -

7.  Do you have the print settings adjusted to generate a "Full Plot" and are the X-Offset and Y-Offset values are set to 0? -I don't know how to do that

USER_09
7-Bedrock

6. If you perform a manual Preview of the export, does it display correctly. For example, if you select File->Print->Preview, does the output look correct? -

-No

here is the print preview.

Literally, I think Tom (above) hit it with his first response. I think on the C-sized format, your "0,0" position (the format origin) is set to the wrong location. Your plot settings show "Full Plot" and an X and Y offset of zero. The preview being off really just confirms the likely issue is a misplaced origin.

I'll document the steps but fair warning, this was written for Creo 7 and PTC may have finally gotten around to updating the interface so you may have to hunt for the commands a bit in Creo 9:

BrianMartin_1-1720754846360.png

1. Open the drawing format (not the template, the error is likely in the format for the C-size).
  2. Go to the Sketch tab and select Draft Grid then Show Grid
  3. The origin should be set as shown in the image above. The correct origin is shown circled in green. The likely incorrect one is shown in red. 
  4. If it is not still selected, re-select Draft Grid and then Origin followed by Default (you should not need to manually select the origin). Select Done/Return to commit the change.
  5. Select the Layout tab. Select Location Grid. The outline of your format border should appear with an "X, Y, Z" origin symbol appearing precisely at the location circled in green above.

At the point, you should test the modified format to see if this fixes the problem. If not, we may have missed something. Because you're using the same mapkey to generate all sizes of output, it's less likely that individual print/export settings are the culprit. My guess is that Tom was right all along and resetting the origin is the likely solution.

Please let us know if this works. If not, we'll dig deeper.

Thanks!
-Brian

So close!  I've found most of what you mention.  I can find the origin command box and turn on the grid.  I don't see a save setting or really think it is modifying the format.  I clicked the "default" and nothing changed.  I also tried to move the origin by one cell kitty corner left/down but the dot does not follow the YZX symbol.  I've been updating/regenerating/uploading after changes, but see nothing.  So close!  I'd love to bring this solution to the team.  I'll speak highly of you all 🙂

USER_09
7-Bedrock

I did not show much of the option box. but it is behind the select point pop up.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

You can move the origin for the grid around, but that doesn't actually change the origin of the drawing.  Setting 'default' on the grid origin just snaps it back to the 'real' drawing origin.  You can't change the drawing's actual origin.  Instead, you just grab the border lines and move them to wherever you want them relative to that origin (or sketch new ones.)  Setting the grid to some common increment (1/8", 1/4", etc.) and then configuring sketcher to snap to the grid makes it really easy to sketch these lines.  Holler if you need help and I'll try to record a video.

USER_09
7-Bedrock

Thanks team.  I believe the solution has been discovered.  I'm still trying to do it along with my regular workflow, so the issue has not been resolved YET. but.... I understand the problem.  I may reach out, but I got to do some of my own thinking and wrangle this creo beast.

USER_09
7-Bedrock

Hello.  I was talking with you last week.  You said you could record a video.  I'd appreciate it.  I have tried to click around and I keep seeing "Click File -> format" and that option is just not available.  I'm on Creo 9. 

To be specific.

We have a C size drawing that I just want to correct the margins.  All I want to do is edit the file.  I search endlessly in the forum for solutions.  It just never stops. 

I've posted the dwg in this thread.  I just can't find the solution.

Please/thanks.

-MS

TomU
23-Emerald IV

See if this helps.  (Video processing may take a few minutes.)

USER_09
7-Bedrock

User TomU, you are my favorite person right now.  Naming my next born Tom .

Top Tags