cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Can I turn off automatic drawing creation when saving a new part?

BriGuy
11-Garnet

Can I turn off automatic drawing creation when saving a new part?

So when I create a new part and save it, Creo automatically creates a drawing.  Is there a setting to turn this off??  The reason I ask is because I'm updating our formats and templates. However, I can't seem to link the new template to get pulled when the part is saved.  I'd have to delete the created drawing and create a new one and select the template I want.

I tried changing the config option for template_drawing to point to a different location.  Currently, it points to C:\ptc\etc\templates\start.drw.  Doesn't make a difference.

I'm not quite sure which location this should be posted in.  We're running Creo 2.0 & Windchill 10.0.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BriGuy)

@BriGuy wrote:

So when I create a new part and save it, Creo automatically creates a drawing.  Is there a setting to turn this off?? 

Creo config option 'rename_drawings_with_object'.  Set it to 'none'.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You cannot update templates in a drawing, only formats.

The template is ONLY applied when you create a new object, part, assembly or drawing. It includes the format and any parameters or symbols that your company has decided must be in the file(s). Drawing templates may also include standard symbols for the drawing.

Are you creating a new part or doing a save-as of an existing part to a new part? Those functions, while creating a new part is the end result, are different in how they work. With Save-As in Windchill, there is a preference to copy the drawing with the part, it may be a Creo config.pro setting, or both.

I know I can't update the template once a drawing is created but I couldn't see and change which template the system was grabbing.  I thought changing the template_drawing config was changing that but it was only changing it for manually creating a new drawing.  I turned off the autocreate drawing option which I think is better anyways.  I hate when I create a backup of the part to use as a reference also created a drawing.  Just starts to clog up the workspace.  Thanks for the help.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

@BriGuy wrote:

So when I create a new part and save it, Creo automatically creates a drawing.  Is there a setting to turn this off?? 

Creo config option 'rename_drawings_with_object'.  Set it to 'none'.

Top Tags