cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Change hole type in a hole pattern

fdefilippi
1-Newbie

Change hole type in a hole pattern

Greetings:

In using Inventor/ Solidedge/ Solidworks if you have a hole in a pattern you can toggle from a  simple drill hole to a c'bore, tapped, c'sink, etc. very simple- very fast- very convenient, does Creo have this ability as I can't do this without deleting the pattern and starting over, which is inconvenient..  sorry very new Creo user.

thank you

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It all depends on the type of hole that was patterned.

The default option is simple hole with rectangular profile (the buttons highlighted in the attached picture).

This seems to be the only situation you have to delete the pattern before you redefine the feature. For all other hole types you can redefine the hole (add counter bores and chamfers) without deleting the pattern.

hole_type.jpg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Frank,

I don't see the problem, maybe you need to be more specific. Use the hole feature and then use the pattern feature to pattern the holes. Then, BY EDITING THE FIRST INSTANCE you can change the hole type and the patterned holes will update accordingly.

Check the video.

Welcome, feel free to ask whatever you want.

Hi,

your problem is related to Dimension pattern. You have to use different pattern type, for example Direction pattern. Please test all pattern types to find out which one is the best one for you.

MH

Martin Hanák

It all depends on the type of hole that was patterned.

The default option is simple hole with rectangular profile (the buttons highlighted in the attached picture).

This seems to be the only situation you have to delete the pattern before you redefine the feature. For all other hole types you can redefine the hole (add counter bores and chamfers) without deleting the pattern.

hole_type.jpg

dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite
(To:GabrielZaha)

Is this the same if the user wants to change to a tapped hole?

If the patterned hole was initially created as a standard hole than most likely the answer is yes, otherwise no,

There are certain limitations depending on the hole type:

• You can't change from "Simple Hole" to "Standard Hole"
  • For simple holes, you can't change the profile type(Rectangle, standard drilled hole or sketched)
  • For Standard holes - You can't add/remove the taper

The most flexible seems to be the standard hole without taper. You can:

• add/remove thread
  • add/remove counter-bore
  • add remove countersink
  • change from drilled to clearance hole

There may be other scenarios but I hope this is covering the most typical situations.

dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite
(To:GabrielZaha)

I argue that the most common function is changing a from a simple hole to a standard hole and vice versa.

I agree completely.  It is insane (and very error-prone, and feature-tree-destroying) that we have to go back and redraw our pattern when switching from a standard to simple hole.  PTC, please fix in next version. 

Top Tags