cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Creo 2.0 PDMLink server registration - ????

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Creo 2.0 PDMLink server registration - ????

I've been trying to figure out how it is that Creo 2.0 knows my PDMLink server and registers it.
I've been looking at files to see which ones have the web address to my server and then playing around with removing them and then restarting Creo 2.0. So far I don't believe I've found every file it's looking at to determine my PDMLink server and workspace.

======== Testing ==========
I actually had to reboot in order to totally remove the platform directory.
C:\Users\haigh1\AppData\Roaming\PTC\Creo\Platform\1.0
C:\Users\haigh1\AppData\Roaming\PTC\Creo\Platform\1.1 <-- some process was holding onto two files in this dir.
C:\Users\haigh1\AppData\Roaming\PTC\Creo\Platform\2.6

I also deleted the cache file .Settings and .cache2008 directories.

I then started ProE. It started Creo 2.0 and it proceeded to install Creo Platform 2.6

It didn't register the server and my Platform directory now only has the 2.6 folder.
This is what I would expect if you just deleted the cache folder in WildFire or Creo 1.0. It should startup and not know that the server exist.

I then registered the server and exited Creo 2.0

I then moved these files & folders so they would not be seen when Creo 2.0 started up: (All of these have the server address in them.)
C:\Users\haigh1\AppData\Roaming\PTC\Creo\Platform\2.6\ServerMgr\.srv_mgr_db.fldx
C:\Users\haigh1\pro\creo_2_home\PDMLink_Cache\PTC\ProENGINEER\.cache2008
C:\Users\haigh1\pro\creo_2_home\PDMLink_Cache\PTC\ProENGINEER\.wfwsi2008
C:\Users\haigh1\pro\creo_2_home\PDMLink_Cache\PTC\ProENGINEER\.Settings\active_server_config.fld

I then started Creo 2.0 again.

Creo 2.0 knew where the server was, and recreated the following files and folders, and then asked me to register the server.
C:\Users\haigh1\pro\creo_2_home\PDMLink_Cache\PTC\ProENGINEER\.Settings\active_server_config.fld

Where is it getting this information?????
There has to be someplace else it's storing the server location and current workspace.

Upon logging into PDMLink, it recreated this folder:

I have a call into PTC. Waiting to see what they say. They didn't have an answer right away.

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

David

I've noticed that there is a process called nmsd.exe that stays up after
proe has been closed, kill this process and the files can be removed

Best Regards

Chris Collinson
CAD Administrator
DaveEngel
5-Regular Member
(To:davehaigh)

I didn’t install the Creo Platform software. I opened a call with PTC about Creo 1.0 trying to install the Creo Platform software when it launches, but they told me there was nothing I could do about it. The support engineer said in Creo 2.0 there would be a config.pro option to disable checking for Creo Platform installation. The option is: enable_creo_srvmgrdb, however it is not a valid option. I just renamed the creoagent_32_64.msi, which evidently installs the Creo Platform software.

Anyway, I just opened call about my “won’t retain server manager information” issue.

-Dave

DaveEngel
5-Regular Member

Creo Platform is the culprit for me. It wants to install for every user who runs Creo, so it isn’t like I can install Creo Platform as an administrator and hand the box over to a regular non-administrator, for it will try to install and fail for the non-admin. It installs under the user profile, and evidently needs admin rights to install

When Creo Platform is installed Creo remembers the Windchill server, without Creo Platform it forgets the server.

I find this administrator rights issue unacceptable. I don’t know what PTC is thinking, however they are running the Creo ship aground with this. I can’t make every Creo user administrator (even temporarily) just to install Creo Platform so this software works correctly.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

That will be an issue for me as well.
IT has decided that users do not get administrator rights even local administrator on their assigned computers.
With Win7 we are seeing lots of things not working without administrator rights and that is with WF4 still.

Software developers should be given minimal rights and low end workstations, so they can develop code that will work for everyone.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

A couple of you suggested the registry might be where Creo 2.0 is getting my server registration information.

I checked the registry and only found these entries that have my server url:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{EA982C26-97EC-11D5-ABBC-00B0D078911C}\DownloadInformation <-- C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\pviewieplugin.inf
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{F694EA1F-2EC1-445D-8988-1862AD0CC4C8}\DownloadInformation <-- C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\pvvercheck_ie.inf
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-823518204-879983540-682003330-118745\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-823518204-879983540-682003330-118745\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths

So I don’t think any of these are the culprit.

David Haigh

Ok I found the problem.

There is a process that continues to run after you exit Creo 2.0.

If you truly want Creo to forget about the server, you have to do all of the following:
Delete these three files:
C:\Users\haigh1\AppData\Roaming\PTC\Creo\Platform\2.6\ServerMgr\.srv_mgr_db.fldx

Kill this process, creoagent.exe:
[cid:image002.jpg@01CD124A.A6CE4BF0]

You don't have to delete the cache folder:

David Haigh

I’m looking at what the creo agent installs and the settings it makes. None of the registry edits are for the local user. They are all in local machine.
[cid:image004.jpg@01CD1255.0CD295A0]

These are the files it installs
[cid:image005.jpg@01CD1255.0CD295A0]

There are no Environment Veriables or Services it installs.

I haven’t tested this, but I don’t see as an admin why you couldn’t copy the files from another machine and create the registry settings on the new client.

David Haigh
Top Tags