Creo 2.0 M070, M080, Dell M6700 with Quadro K5000m graphics running the supported driver version on Windows 7 64-bit.
I'm having a strange problem where Creo will not exit if a JLink application is loaded. When Creo starts without the JLink application, it exits normally. With the JLink application loaded, when I exit Creo, it just hangs and I have to kill it with Task Manager. There is no indication of trouble during the Creo session - everything works fine, JLink apps work fine, etc.
My code in the stop() method runs successfully and java.exe disappears from the Task Manager, but xtop continues to use CPU until I end the process. The trail file is not updated with "!End of Trail File", so I don't know if it's locked up trying to update the trail file or something else before that.
We have Windchill 9.1 M070 and the exit lockup happens whether Creo is connected to Windchill or not.
We have another M6700 with the same graphics, same driver, Win 7 64-bit, and cannot reproduce the problem on that computer (Creo exits fine with JLink).
Using the JRE that's installed with Creo or using the jlink_java_command option to point to a different JRE makes no difference.
So far, the only common thing among a few computers this happens on is Windows 7. I've tried different themes, from Aero to Basic, and that makes no difference.
I have a call open with PTC and spent some time in a webex session yesterday, but we weren't able to figure anything out.
Has anyone experienced an issue like this or have any suggestions?
If you use the system.call (also possible in Java) please remember to deactivate the Windows failure handling. Otherwise you can get the Windows failure handling window on Windows 7 / 8. Windows XP is everytime ok I think.
I also use the system.call events in my aync Java applications.
Runtime.getRuntime().exec("taskkill /IM xtop.exe /F"); //NOI18N
Thanks for the replies. I thought about using a system call to kill xtop, and it works fine, but there's no guarantee that a user would be running only one Creo session.
After more testing, I found that the Creo Agent was the culprit. If I uninstalled Creo Agent, everything worked fine. When I reinstalled Creo Agent, Creo would not exit in some cases. I talked with PTC tech support and they found known issues with Creo Agent and provided a solution. A hidden config option was added recently, called "enable_creo_srvmgrdb". Setting that to "no" solves the problem.
Further information on that config option from tech support:
"Using this option with value set to no causes Server Manager to work WITHOUT using CreoAgent. Using this option at first time will cause to losing all the information about registered servers. Hence, PTC recommends users to first clear the existing cache and unregistering all registered servers before using this configuration option."