cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Creo Toolkit: Problem opening .xls file

MadhaviG
11-Garnet

Creo Toolkit: Problem opening .xls file

Hello All,

facing one weird problem.

when user double clicks on .xls file then it opens Creo Parametric 4.0

Any idea why?

6 REPLIES 6

If this clicking is happening in a Windows Explorer window, then there is an association in the Registry. You can right click the file and select "open with" to change it to Excel by making sure the "always open with this" is checked. You may have to Browse to find Excel.

Thanks for reply @dschenken

File is at desktop. I tried opening it by selecting excel from 'Open with' option. still it opens in creo.

I kept excel application open but no change.

There's a "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file " button. Was that checked?

Next up, do you have the actual file extensions displayed? Under Folder Options, turn off "Hide Known File Types."

There's a good chance the file is "filename.xls.3" but if the File Types are turned off it displays as "filename.xls" because Creo forces .1 to .999 to be associated with Creo.

Good points.

Yah that check box was selected (even if its not selected it should open in excel for the first time)

Extensions are displayed. Basically I just created a new blank .xls file so no problem with ext\version number.

Seems like a registry problem. I have never had this fail, so I don't know how to fix it.

See this for some suggestions: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/quickly-fix-windows-file-type-associations/

@dschenken Once again thanks for reply.

I'll go through the link and would post updates here if I find the solution.

Top Tags