cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting temp files to free up disc space?

Highlighted

Deleting temp files to free up disc space?

Hello,

I am trying to free up some disc space on my PC and am trying to figure out if I am able to delete any of the files within the Temp folder on my C drive. There are a number of .cab files that I can not really find out what they are for. Am I able to delete those without causing any issues or is there anything else I can delete to free up space? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Deleting temp files to free up disc space?

Most of the Creo related files are  trail.txt, .log, .dat, std.err, std.out, .lst, .acl, .crc, you may delete these files. About .cab files under temp directory, I think from temp directory there should not be any impact of deleting these. It's always better to have a backup 🙂

Re: Deleting temp files to free up disc space?

If you're running out of space on the hard drive you use to store Creo files, you might be suffering from version retention. By default, every time you save a file in Creo, it increments the number at the end of the file name and saves a new file, while retaining the last number. For example "part.prt.12" is saved as "part.prt.13". We've had times where someone was working on a large assembly and had hundreds of versions of each part, to the point where a directory that should have had about 300MB of data files was using 16GB of space.

There's a utility program, "purge.exe" that is included with Creo that will delete all but the most recent version of the parts, assemblies, etc. in a directory. Keeping old versions is often useful when things are in development, so you can recover if you make some sort of horrible mistake, but once the design is done it's always our practice to clean up the old stuff so massive amounts of space aren't wasted.

I've got a batch file "recpurge.bat" that I use to recursively traverse the directory structure on our server to clean up all the old versions and get rid of the temp files Creo creates. If you're interested I can post the contents of the file.