cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Getting the references of an assemby/part

rsharma-6(custo
1-Newbie

Getting the references of an assemby/part

Hi,

I am using ProE 4.0 datecode M040.

We have the following scenario.

Two parts(PRT0005.PRT and PRT0006.PRT)are created and placed in an assembly (ASM0003.ASM).With assembly open, PRT0006.PRT is activated and a hole is created on this part by selecting two of the surfaces of the assembly ASM0003.ASM.

Then open the part and say Info->Reference viewer. The reference viewer window opens and we can see that a reference link between ASM0003.ASM and PRT0006.PRT as shown in the attachment file doc2.doc.Right click on the link and say Info->Reference Info. Inormation window opens showing all the features of PRT0006.PRT and the external features those features refer to. In this case PRT0006.PRT has only one feature called "Hole 1" that has refers to 4 other features.(the attached file "grv_ref_info.inf" shows the content of the information window.)

We are interested in finding specific information from the above information like "Referenced Is In the context of" and "Referenced Solid" for each feature of a file.(In this example given file PRT0006.PRT I should get the information that In the context of assembly ASM0003.ASM. the feature Hole 1 is refering to feature of solid ASM0003.ASM.

Howcan we find this information using Pro/Toolkit functions

This information is needed because when we have to save a file to our server we also need to pickup the files to which the actual file has feature references so that those files will also be saved to server along with the original file.

Thank you,

Rakesh.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Rakesh,
Look in the API Wizard under User's Guide->Geometric References. Read this section and see if these APIs will satisfy your requirements.

Patrick Williams | Sr. Applications Engineer | Engineering Systems | Steelcase Inc. | 616.698.4078 | My Site<">http://my.steelcase.com/Person.aspx?accountname=NA\PWILLIA3>

[cid:image001.jpg@01C9A631.49A6DB50]

Hello Patrick,

I have checked functions related to "Object ProReference" but those doesn't seem to solve my purpose.

However I have tried using "Object ProExt" as shown in the attached sample file.I am able to get some of external feature referencesbut not all feature reference.

Could you please go through the sample code and suggest if I am using proper APIs and what is the problem with the code that I am unable to get all the feature references.

Please see the function

ProError FnVisitAction( ProFeature* p_feature ,ProError status ,ProAppData app_data ) in the code and give your comments.

(There is no definite behaviour that only some kind feature referencesare returned by the program and some are not. For example "Reference Type: Feature reference , Used as : External geometry reference" .The behavior is that for a given file I may get this kind of reference through program but for a different I file that has this kind of reference the program may not return this reference).

Thank you,

Rakesh

<h2/>

Rakesh,

I have not ever written code to find external feature references. My suggestion is to look at the sample code contained in TestExtrefInfo.c. You can also compile all of the sample applications and run them within Pro/ENGINEER. I think you will find your solution in the sample code.

Patrick Williams | Sr. Applications Engineer | Engineering Systems | Steelcase Inc. | 616.698.4078 | My Site<">http://my.steelcase.com/Person.aspx?accountname=NA\PWILLIA3>

[cid:image001.jpg@01C9A7A6.F187FA40]
Top Tags