cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Hole Notes in Creo 2.0

msteis
1-Newbie

Hole Notes in Creo 2.0

Is there a way to change the hole notes? Even the c'bore isn't shown in the note. The note in the feature is not editable This is just a clearance c'bore. Is there a default style that it might be able to customize to my liking?

Capture.JPG

Thanks,

Matt

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:msteis)

This is one of the weaknesses in Creo. You have to do major surgery on the hole files (*.hol).

Since I use different standards which are client dependent, I find the default notes useless, and editing the hole files a waste of time. I try to use as many of the already provided parameters as I can, but for the most part, the provided note is useless. Just the "UNC - 2B" rather than "UNC-2B" drives me nuts. And yes, this too can be fixed. End of a paramter in a text string

If you have a company standard, it is worth investigation and locking it down as an IT managed standard configuration. You have to remember not to loose them during an upgrade.

Matt,

Click on the note, right click, then select Edit Value.

This will let you edit the sting of parameters that drive the note. You can rearrange them, delete them, or add your own text as you like.

Rick Z.

Thanks for the help... Being the only one that works with Creo, I chose to create new hole files for the threads & c'bores that I use. I've done this successfully so far, but would like to change the callout in my c'bore hole file to display in fractions instead of decimals.

Is it possible to do this with just the c'bore hole file?

Thanks,

Matt

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

If the entry in the table for the field is a string rather than a numeric value, it should be able to do accept fractional -representations-. By the same token, you should be able to neter drill size numbers such as "#39".

I wonder if you can add new columns and have them default to a string value by entering fractions.

Can you give that a try and see if that works?

I have to explore this more and give it a try. I'm not sure how these files work yet. I'll I've done so far was to create a copy of the hole file and create my own callout format within it. I was hoping that there would be an option similar to the ability to control decimal places (.x) at the end of the callout parameter.

Thanks,

Matt

I tried changing the decimal to a fraction in the table of the hole file. This failed I think due to the / in the fraction. It made the diameter of the c'bore 7.000 instead of 7/16.

Matt

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Yes, I suspected it would do that. I don't know what controls the parameter format but I suspect it is internal.

What I am suggesting is trying to add a column with your own variable name. Then use your new variable in the note format. I wonder if it would take.

Of course, you can open a support case to assist in knowing how all this works. Your application is quite valid where desired data is not already provided in the tables. Knowing we can add this, and how to add this would be a real boost to making hole tables more usable.

I did end up opening a support case, but I didn't mention until now, your suggestion on the new column of variables. That seems like a really good idea.

What I was wondering was if I could repopulate any of the columns that I don't use in my callout_format with the fractional data (tap drill size, clear drill size, etc.).

My thinking is that if any of these columns only contain text that is transferred to the callout_format, but doesn't drive the hole feature itself, I could populate the columns with anything I want.

msteis
1-Newbie

FYI... I replaced the data in the TAP_DR & CLEAR_DRILL_FREE columns with my fractional data along with changing the parameters in the callout_format area accordingly in my .hol file for c'bores. It seems to have worked.

I was unsuccessful at adding my own columns to this file. It might be possible to do, but I don't have enough parameter knoledge to know if I did it correctly.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Yea, I thought of that too. "re-purposing" a column. Not conventional but should work until someone down the road looks at it and asks what you were thinking

Top Tags