cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Importing files with assembly level appearance

TomM
12-Amethyst

Importing files with assembly level appearance

Hi. 

Creo 7 here.

I'm trying to find a way to modify import recipe or whatever else could be driving this in order to have Creo import assemblies which contain assembly level appearance modifications with those modifications.

Here's the issue breakdown:

I have assemblies which mostly contain frames designed in Inventor/Solidworks. I export them to STEPs and import into Creo (cause I need to output PVZ files in the end). Parts which have appearance overrides are being imported with those overrides but any override at assembly level (no matter the depth) is not being imported.

Now, I tried both 214 and 242 export protocols, I tried every option available in import settings and nothing gives me the result. I know those appearances are present in exports cause I can import them again into other software and they're there.

Fun fact is, that the first time I did all of this Creo imported everything as intended...I think I may have altered something in Creo and now it's upset. 

I'll be grateful for help.

Kind regards,

Tom

7 REPLIES 7
YaroslavSin
17-Peridot
(To:TomM)

I'm faced several problems with a color for import step files.

I think, you can try to use another file format (IGES, sat).

If you exporting from Creo, then try *.neu file format.

JB_87049
15-Moonstone
(To:YaroslavSin)

My apologies, for whatever reason I didn't see the original post at first.
So my reply is for a question not asked.
I can't delete my reply so I'll leave it here.

It all depends on what STEP format you are using.
I'll consider two scenarios, namely model export using Creo and model export using another CAD system.

I've created a short video to show you this.

You can use STEP AP203e2, STEP AP214 and STEP AP242 to preserve colours.
I would advise to use STEP AP214 as this is probably the best supported "colour" STEP amongst different CAD/CAM systems.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

please read https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs22317 document.

Martin Hanák
JB_87049
15-Moonstone

I have done some testing here and I encounter the same problems as you.
When I change the appearance of a part within Inventor 2022 and import that into Creo 8.0.3.0 or FreeCAD 0.19 the colours are not retained. As it works for parts, I suspect there is a setting within Inventor that must be set. I'll be doing some additional testing.

JB_87049
15-Moonstone
(To:JB_87049)

I have done additional testing with Creo 8.0.3.0, FreeCAD 0.19, Siemens NX.
I can't retain the colours in these three systems when assigning an appearance in Inventor to a part within an assembly and then export the assembly to STEP AP214.
It is indeed so that when I import the STEP file back into Inventor the colours are retained.
This convinces me that there must be something that is unique to Inventor.

TomM
12-Amethyst

Thank all of you for participating in the debate.

JB, awesome reply. Thanks. 

I'm on Inventor 2021 btw. Honestly I am 100% sure I did get the colour retention the first time...sadly I deleted the step and all I'm left with is an .ol file that I think I can export from Creo Illustrate standard. Not gonna help much though. I'll try tomorrow with solidworks. And yes, importing steps back into Inventor results with colours being there...

TomM
12-Amethyst

Well...here we go again...

So I tested it and:

Colours assigned at part level are definately, 100% of the time treated way differently than at assembly level in my setup...it's something wrong with Creo 7.

1. I can export/import files in Inventor and all sorts of colours are retained.

2. I can export a STEP from Inventor and have Solidworks import with colours retained.

3. I can export a STEP from Solidoworks with colour overrides at assembly level and have it imported in Inventor with colours retained.

4. I can NOT export a STEP from Solidworks with colour overrides at assembly level and have it imported in Creo with colours retained.

5. I can export a STEP of parts from Inventor with appearance changes (colour overrides) and have them import in Creo and colours are retained.

6. I can export a STEP of an assembly from Inventor with colour overrides at part level and have it imported in Creo with colours retained.

7. I can NOT export a STEP of an assembly from Inventor with colour overrides at assembly level and import in Creo with colours retained.

8. I can export a PVZ of an assembly in Creo with colour overrides at part level and have those overrides in Creo View/Illustrate.

9. I can NOT export a PVZ file of an assembly in Creo with colour overrides at assembly level and have those overrides in Creo View/Illustrate.

10. I can export a STEP file of an assembly in Creo with colour overrides at assembly level and import in Inventor with colour overrides present.

So it's an issue with default recipes...however I can't figure out a way to alter them correctly!

I'm completely out of ideas...

Edit:

As far as point 9 goes: 

I can do it after I altered recipe file export_pvs.rcp and changed "Output Single Shape File" to OFF. However this sucks, cause I need it to export as a single file in order to use the geometry as symbol in Creo Illustrate...This is madness.

Top Tags