cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Orientation Cube or Simple Rotation Feature

jordana
4-Participant

Orientation Cube or Simple Rotation Feature

I recently came to Creo from Inventor, and I became somewhat dependent on the orientation cube (see attached video). After searching the community and the settings, I had come to the conclusion that such a thing was not possible in Creo. However, when doing some training with PTCU, I opened one of their files (which automatically opened in Simulate) and I saw something similar to the orientation cube labeled WCS in the bottom right corner (World Coordinate System, see attached image), which proved it's possible. This one is passive, meaning it only shows the current orientation, but that would be enough to help me.

In context.png

My question: how can I get this in Parametric? Would it be possible to make active (I can click on parts of the cube and re-orient the modeling window)? Or would it be easier to figure out how to program in 90 degree rotations about each axis in the views instead? My problem is that I have aphantasia, meaning I cannot visualize objects in my head, so I rely on being able to see it and grasp the position of features from looking at the model. The orientation cube was really helpful for this, and the lack of such a thing in Creo has been difficult for me to adjust to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@jordana wrote:
That seems weird that a fundamental feature like that would just not exist at all for a sophisticated code package like Creo, especially when they took the time to add it to Simulate, where such a thing is (in my opinion) unnecessary. That's really disappointing. May I ask, then, where I might find some resources for customizing the Parametric UI (maybe using APIs)? Is there a helpful API manual?

Also, do you have recommendations for how to set up or program up 90 degree rotations about each axis as functions?

Thanks!

Hi,

1.] to see your model in specific orientation you can define views

2.] to rotate your model 90 degrees about specific axis you can define a mapkey

3.] learn to watch spin center ... it could replace you missing WCS

4.] programming Creo is to complicated for beginner user

5.] search help.ptc.com for information

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

WCS in the bottom right corner is available in Creo Simulate (maybe also in Creo Illustrate). In Creo Parametric this "feature" is not available.

Martin Hanák
jordana
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

That seems weird that a fundamental feature like that would just not exist at all for a sophisticated code package like Creo, especially when they took the time to add it to Simulate, where such a thing is (in my opinion) unnecessary. That's really disappointing. May I ask, then, where I might find some resources for customizing the Parametric UI (maybe using APIs)? Is there a helpful API manual?

Also, do you have recommendations for how to set up or program up 90 degree rotations about each axis as functions?

Thanks!

@jordana wrote:

Thanks!

Hi,

1.] to see your model in specific orientation you can define views

2.] to rotate your model 90 degrees about specific axis you can define a mapkey

3.] learn to watch spin center ... it could replace you missing WCS

4.] programming Creo is to complicated for beginner user

5.] search help.ptc.com for information

Martin Hanák
jordana
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

I'll look into mapkeys. The spin center has been helpful, but can't show my orientation at a glance. Thanks for your help.

Sergey
14-Alexandrite
(To:jordana)

I agree that not having the orientation cube like in Inventor is not convienient at all. Autodesk Inventor is far better in terms of being user friendly. This makes it more efficient. Not saying that Creo is bad, but it is still a way to go.

Top Tags