cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Putting a .txt file into Relations

ckirsch
1-Newbie

Putting a .txt file into Relations

I like to keep a Notpad window open when I'm working to keep all my Relations info handy (I'm lazy and fingers never leave the the Ctrl C or V keys) but it would be nice to be able to have my Relations read from that .txt file and that way the same relations could be read throughout multiple parts. Or is there any easier way to do this? I'm pretty new to this slightly more advanced stuff.

Thanks Guys!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:ckirsch)

If the changes are the same for all existing parts, write a mapkey or use ModelCheck.

If the changes are for all parts going forward, modify the start_part template.

If you have multiple options of relations needed for different part types, use multiple start_parts or a common start_part and mapkeys.

There is no way currently that Creo can read the contents of a text file and paste them in the relations editor automatically. Cut and Paste manually is your best bet short of a keystroke recorder at the OS level.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

If you have relations that you use in every part, put them in your start part template file. No copy/paste needed.

Well my idea was that I would be able to change the the relations of all the parts from a notepad window that I kept open and would save each time I made a change and then just regen all the parts. I have all the parts using the same template now, I just want to be able to change those global relations without having the template open 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

If the changes are the same for all existing parts, write a mapkey or use ModelCheck.

If the changes are for all parts going forward, modify the start_part template.

If you have multiple options of relations needed for different part types, use multiple start_parts or a common start_part and mapkeys.

There is no way currently that Creo can read the contents of a text file and paste them in the relations editor automatically. Cut and Paste manually is your best bet short of a keystroke recorder at the OS level.

I think there have been similar discussions around materials - in the same way as relations, the material data is embedded in each model once assigned, and does not parametrically link to the external material file.

It's generally agreed that you wouldn't want really it to, as otherwise you'd end up in a version control nightmare.

In addition to Ben's start part template suggestion, ModelCHECK can also add relations to your part or assembly.

Top Tags