cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Shared Common Files folder

SB_8344758
3-Visitor

Shared Common Files folder

Hi!

I'd like to move the Common Files folder from the directory, where Creo is installed. We need it to be shared, because there's a lot of settings in there. I tried a lot of things, but I didn't succeed. Is there a way to specify the path to the Common Files folder to use instead of the original?

Thanks,

Bence Salamon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:SB_8344758)

Bence,

It's a bit unusual to share just part of the installation, but you can use a directory symbolic link to point to a network shared area. Search for the windows "mklink" command for more information. Search for "directory junction vs directory symbolic link" as well.

My guess would be you can accomplish what you need via:

1. Copy the "Common Files" folder to a network share area, and configure as needed.

2. On each client PC, rename (or delete) the "Common Files" folder. (I'm assuming the installs already exist.)

3. Use the MKLINK command to create the directory symbolic link on each client.

For example:

1. Copy "Common Files" to "\\servername\sharename\Common Files"

2. Delete or rename the "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 7.0.1.0\Common Files" folder

3. From a DOS/CMD window on the client PC, run MKLINK /D "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 7.0.1.0\Common Files" "\\servername\sharename\Common Files"

This should work, but it's a bit odd in my opinion. There are other ways to accomplish having a common/shared configuration. [Ben mentioned the network install method already.] Each method has it's advantages and disadvantages. I'd suggest you examine your users & business needs before deciding on a particular method. There are lots of things to consider; network speed, laptops and remote use, disconnected use (borrowed license, laptop, no network), global WAN use, amount of data to share/copy/synchronize, deployment method, how many configurations you need (training, project specific, product line specific, language specific), etc. Regards,

Dan N.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello @SB_8344758

You can move the common file folder to a different location. However, the addresses in Config pro need to be edited.

For Example;

emrecan_1-1602069372969.png

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I have a single install of Creo on a server disk so everyone is reading the load_point Common Files folder by default. Makes upgrades easier as I don't have to go around to 20 computers to do an upgrade.

For the directories section of config.pro, we set a shared drive location X:/PTC_Settings and have templates, formats, notes, tables, etc, folders under that. We also have a PTC_Settings folder in WIndchill in a configuration setting library which has the formats, templates and start parts in it.

dnordin
15-Moonstone

Bence,

It's a bit unusual to share just part of the installation, but you can use a directory symbolic link to point to a network shared area. Search for the windows "mklink" command for more information. Search for "directory junction vs directory symbolic link" as well.

My guess would be you can accomplish what you need via:

1. Copy the "Common Files" folder to a network share area, and configure as needed.

2. On each client PC, rename (or delete) the "Common Files" folder. (I'm assuming the installs already exist.)

3. Use the MKLINK command to create the directory symbolic link on each client.

For example:

1. Copy "Common Files" to "\\servername\sharename\Common Files"

2. Delete or rename the "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 7.0.1.0\Common Files" folder

3. From a DOS/CMD window on the client PC, run MKLINK /D "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 7.0.1.0\Common Files" "\\servername\sharename\Common Files"

This should work, but it's a bit odd in my opinion. There are other ways to accomplish having a common/shared configuration. [Ben mentioned the network install method already.] Each method has it's advantages and disadvantages. I'd suggest you examine your users & business needs before deciding on a particular method. There are lots of things to consider; network speed, laptops and remote use, disconnected use (borrowed license, laptop, no network), global WAN use, amount of data to share/copy/synchronize, deployment method, how many configurations you need (training, project specific, product line specific, language specific), etc. Regards,

Dan N.

Thanks, it works perfectly!

Top Tags