cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Symbol Instance definition name

Ketan_Lalcheta
19-Tanzanite

Symbol Instance definition name

Hello

For symbol instance present in drawing, we can identify name of parent symbol using API ProDtlsymdefdataNameGet.

This API gives correct name in case of Symbol Definition having name as Test. In case of Symbol Definition Name having Test (2) or Test(2), it is not giving full name and only provides Test as symbol Definition Name.

Am I missing something or is this way it works? Any suggestion would be of great help.

2 REPLIES 2

Check the list of invalid characters in a filename. I think the '(' and ')' are not valid characters.

Usually in a Windows folder, a file with the (#) in the name indicates a copy of the original file.

BenLoosli_0-1600896719046.png

@Ketan_Lalcheta wrote:

Hello

For symbol instance present in drawing, we can identify name of parent symbol using API ProDtlsymdefdataNameGet.

This API gives correct name in case of Symbol Definition having name as Test. In case of Symbol Definition Name having Test (2) or Test(2), it is not giving full name and only provides Test as symbol Definition Name.

Am I missing something or is this way it works? Any suggestion would be of great help.

Hi,

if I try to create drawing symbol in Creo session and enter symbol name Test (2) or Test(2) then Creo tells me that I entered invalid name.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags