Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF3 TK - Lost Functionality- Fight Back

Highlighted
Marble

WF3 TK - Lost Functionality- Fight Back

Programmers,
About a week ago I posted this group about Parameters not being set if they were driven by a relation. Ever since I've been writing toolkit (Rel 18) we have been allowed to do this. We recently loaded WF3 m140 and now these driven parameters are no longer taking a value. Tech support sent me the following email, saying there was an SPR filed that driven parameters were allowed to be modified by toolkit. So they fixed it and TOOK IT AWAY!! (see the actual email text below)
There are alot of things that you can do behind the scenes in toolkit but not in the GUI. For instance, when you are linked to a WS, the Rename command under the File menu is greyed out. Yet we can rename in toolkit. We actually have one situation where this rename is critical and very neccessary. When will they take this away? Anyone out there loading parameters using toolkit or j-link should be concerned.
So what do you guys think? Someone complains to PTC about how something works, and PTC changes long standing functionality in the name of an SPR and calls it an improvement? They never considered the consequences to everyone else? This doesn't seem right. I'm going after PTC to change this functionality back.
Any opinions on this, in support of, or calling me out as an alarmist? I would use your supportive comments in my case to PTC.

PS - One workaround I've thought of is to load all params, and keep an array of all that return a -33. Then do a regen, which should populate driving params, then go back and load all the driven params from my array. But I'd rather not do a workaround on 20 programs.

Thanks,
Mark - PTC email follows
Hi Mark,
This is in reference to call number C6169480 (Des: ProParameterValueSet returns -33 for parameters controlled by relations.)
The Pro/ENGINEER GUI doesn't let you modify a parameter if it is relation driven. But Pro/TOOLKIT WILL modify it. This is actually an SPR in Pro/ENGINEER which was reported through SPR 1168634.
The issue has been resolved in Wildfire 3.0 M100 and later and this functionality has been removed from Pro/TOOLKIT.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Thanks and Regards,
Avinash Vijendra
PTC Technical Support.

Mark Steffke
Engineering System Administrator
Delfield
989-775-9215
1 REPLY 1

RE: WF3 TK - Lost Functionality- Fight Back

In Reply to:
About a week ago I posted this group about Parameters not being set if they were driven by a relation. Ever since I've been writing toolkit (Rel 18) we have been allowed to do this. We recently loaded WF3 m140 and now these driven parameters are no longer taking a value. Tech support sent me the following email, saying there was an SPR filed that driven parameters were allowed to be modified by toolkit. So they fixed it and TOOK IT AWAY!! ...

PS - One workaround I've thought of is to load all params, and keep an array of all that return a -33. Then do a regen, which should populate driving params, then go back and load all the driven params from my array. But I'd rather not do a workaround on 20 programs.
Another workaround you might want to consider would be to 'suspend' the relations temporarily,
perform your parameter change, then 'resume' the relations. You could 'suspend' the relations
by adding the comment sequence (/*) to the beginning of each line, then 'resume' them by removing
the sequence. For standard relations, this might work for you, but you might be in trouble with
sketcher relations.

This is just another workaround, but since it sounds like it's not getting 'fixed' anytime soon,
you may have to chose your preferred workaround or stay on WF2.

Marc
--
Marc Mettes
-
Visit My CAD/PDM AutomationBlog
Or, Subscribe to My CAD/PDM Automation Blog by Email