cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

What is the best way to create Dome Surface

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

What is the best way to create Dome Surface

I am currently working on a button design that requires a crown on its top surface, see pic below. The highest point is 0.30 MM, ideally from its x-sectional center of gravity. What is the best way to:

1. locate the C.G.

2. model the dome for its top surface.Capture.JPG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
15 REPLIES 15
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:BHOoi)

Creo 2.0 attached.

0. make extrude solid

1. get CG from mass properties

2. locate CSYS with CG parameters

3. create point .03" above over CG

4. intersect desired dome curve

5. generate edge sketches (2)

6. create boundary blend and manipulate the joining points.

7. create surface from top surface

8. merge surfaces

9. solidify

Steps 7-8 made for cleaner edges.

Probably 10 more ways to do this but that's what I did.

sorry, missed the 0.3mm...  Some more tweaks on this one.

domed_button_II.PNG

Hello, you could also consider using some old pro-e features burried deep down in the software, Radius dome & Section dome. There is a config option allow_anatomic_features which allow the use of these, but they are still hidden. You can access them by searching in the top right hand corner for commands that are not in the ribbon. They might not give you the required geometry, but they are an option all the same.

John

section_dome.JPG

Capture.JPG

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:John.Pryal)

Thanks. I am looking at more controls so that I can have the peak placed at exact height and location. Not sure I can achieve it through those dome commands.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Love it ! BTW, do you foresee any issues with the pointy ends of the blend, shown below? Any way to get rid of those?

Capture.JPG

Constantin
13-Aquamarine

Those 'degenerated' points might cause problems when offsetting the surface (offset, shell).
If you run a 'shaded curvature' analysis and you look closely at the points where the iso-lines fall into a point, you are likely to find, that the surface is 'wavy'.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:Constantin)

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Maybe use sections across the parts rather than lengthwise.

Boundary blend works pretty well with large numbers of sections.

It all depends on how much control you want.

In general, I didn't see any artifacts at those ends.

It has to do something when deciding what to connect.

Typically, you would overflow the surface and trim it off.

I don't think I'd every try to do class a surfaces on a regular basis with core Creo.

There is also freeform features.  These can be joined to existing geometry.  But these too offer little control.

Are you sure you don't need the advanced surfacing module for your work

I'm just sayin'

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

Thanks, I do have adv surface ext in creo . I have style module too. Just wonder what options do I have when creating crown surface.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Ha... one option is to use the style and advanced surfaces and avoid the core functionality all together.

I don't have either so I make due.

Constantin
13-Aquamarine

I was also going to suggest Style (ISDX).
I tested it and it will create a trimmed face, which means a larger (4 boundary) surface that you do not see and which is trimmed (by the system) to the selected boundary curves.
Pretty neat!

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:Constantin)

Great, Contantin. Possible to share the proe  file? Thanks!

Constantin
13-Aquamarine

Unfortunately I can not attach the model, there is too much stuff in the start part that I cannot send out...
But here is an image:

dome2.jpg

dome3.jpg

Jacek_Mydlikows
6-Contributor

I recommend to follow my surface modeling tutorials to solve cases like this - 3&5 sided surfaces

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B60eG4B19bE4VWpjaFlBNlZuMzg&usp=sharing

tutorials.JPG

Thanks for sharing.

Top Tags