cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

purge.bat troubles

ptc-2288583
1-Newbie

purge.bat troubles

Hello all. Although I've used ProE for three years, I've only just discovered this website. Sad, huh?

Forgive me if this has been answered and I just lacked the skills to find it. I searched the CAD and Sys Admin categories and found similar questions, but following the suggestions provided did not solve my problem.

I can not get purge.bat to work in my new installation of WF5. Apparently lots of folks have had difficulties setting up the right-click menu but I can't even get it to work by cutting and pasting into the desired directory and running it from there.

My load point: C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 5.0.

My working directory is on a shared engineering drive within our network. I have customer sub-directories within the main work directory.

My purge.bat is as delivered, I haven't tampered with it. From what I can tell, it's identical to the purge.bats in our WF2 and WF4 installations.

I've tried the different commands inside the "folder options->file types->advanced->new->action->application....." that have been suggested in these forums but it's still non-functional.

One of the posts suggested add a system variable pointing to the load point. I did that, but maybe got the syntax wrong(?).

I've tried copying a work directory out of the shared drive and onto my C:\ and running purge - both the cut and paste method, and the right-click. No dice.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I fear I've gotten so frustrated over this that I'm now missing something obvious.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

This jumped out at me right away:

.bat files, being DOS based, REALLY don't like having periods in folder
names.

--

Lyle Beidler
MGS Inc
178 Muddy Creek Church Rd
Denver PA 17517
717-336-7528
Fax 717-336-0514
<">mailto:-> -
<">http://www.mgsincorporated.com>

That's the PTC default these days, that's how my WF3 and WF4
installations are and my purge works fine (32 bit Win XP Pro). It did
so out of the box, so I can't help you on why Eric's isn't.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

My purge command now works like a champ.

To David K: Thanks for the Sherpa PDF. I missed that in my search. I changed the right-click command for file folders to match the Sherpa suggestion, just substituted my load point.

To Bob F: Thanks for the pic of your system variable – I re-entered my path to match yours in the likelihood I mistyped something before.

To Richard B: Thanks for the “Purgeit” link. I’m trying it Monday.

Thanks to the rest of you for your suggestions. In 58 minutes I received responses from seven people. That’ll beat the PTC Help Center any day of the week.

I don't think that's it Lyle. Ours is set up that way and the purge from
the DOS window and as an RMB menu work fine.

Bob Frindt
Sr. Designer
Parker Hannifin Corporation
Parker Aerospace
Gas Turbine Fuel Systems Division
9200 Tyler Boulevard
Mentor, OH 44060 USA
direct (440) 954-8159
cell: (216) 990-8711
fax: (440) 954-8111
-
www.parker.com

Lyle Beidler <->
02/05/2010 04:22 PM
Please respond to
Lyle Beidler <->

To
'Eric Carter' <->, -
cc

Subject
[proecad] - RE: purge.bat troubles

This jumped out at me right away:
.bat files, being DOS based, REALLY don?t like having periods in folder
names.

--

Lyle Beidler
MGS Inc
178 Muddy Creek Church Rd
Denver PA 17517
717-336-7528
Fax 717-336-0514
-

Solution:

1) Add "C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 5.0\bin" (or whatever your ProE install directory) to your path: My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables->System Variables->Edit->Path. Here's what mine looks like:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 5.0\bin

2) To add purge.bat to right click menu from an explorer window: Tools->Folder Options->File Types->File Folders->Advanced->New, add a title for your purge operation in "Action Field", then type the complete purge command in the "Application Used" field. Your exact command line might be different but here's what worked for me:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c cd "%1" &"C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 5.0\bin\purge.bat" *

Thanks to all the users who responded.
Top Tags