cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Export Assembly as Individual Parts

ptc-2131052
1-Newbie

Export Assembly as Individual Parts

I'd like to take an assembly made up of n parts, and export the assembly as n .obj files instead of one .obj file. You can do this by exporting each part of the assembly one at a time, but for an assembly of 100 parts or more, it requires too much time. Is there a built-in way to automate this process or any ideas how to go about finding a way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Scott

4 REPLIES 4

Scott,

My first thought was to use dbatch to perform the export but there is not a Task Group option to export to .obj. There is an option to run a mapkey in dbatch, perhaps this could be used to make the "Save As .obj picks? Just a thought. If I come up with any other suggestions I'll let you know.

Rosemary

Thanks for the response! I really didn't expect to get one.

I'm pretty new to Creo and would need to do some research to figure out what you're talking about exactly. I came up with a way to get around using Creo to accomplish the goal. If you export an assembly as a .obj file, you can open the file in a word editor and see that the file splits up each part. A simple script can be written to extract the individual parts and place them into separate .obj files. Creo puts the global location and material specifications in the file, but I'm not sure if it lists part names.

Do you think there's an easier way?

I'm also trying to do the same thing with an exploded view of the assembly. Once the view is exploded, the location of the parts doesn't actually change, it just looks like it does. So, when I export as an obj from exploded view, I still get the un-exploded locations. Any ideas on how to get the exploded locations of the parts?

In Creo 2 and before, exporting an assembly gave you three option. "Flat", "Parts/Local Coordinate System", and Parts/Global Coordinate System". I what to perform the latter?

got it to work! sorry for the premature question.

Top Tags