cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Assembly parts changing color when converting to STP files?

phillips912
4-Participant

Assembly parts changing color when converting to STP files?

In Creo Parametric 4.0, I have an assembly with different parts assigned different colors. When I convert to a STP file, exported as AP214 which is supposed to retain colors, the shade of the colors changes. For example I go from a beige color to a blinding white. Any ideas how to fix this?

12 REPLIES 12

Hi,

please open Case at PTC Support and ask them same question.

Martin Hanák

I did a quick test by exporting a sample assembly to STEP and exported STEP retained colors. 

Do you have any images or cad file to share here? Is this something specific to data or with all of the files you are having same issue? 

I can't share the files that these color changes are happening to because it's company IP. However the colors that are changing are as follows:

Paint-spray-white

Antique-white

Ptc-ceramic

Adv-plastic-injected-white

I'm not sure if this is a problem unique to these assemblies or with these colors. I am going to try putting these colors in another model and testing to see if they are retained by the STP file.

Also to answer your last question this is happening in ~100 assemblies granted they are all the same parts just in different variations.

EDIT: Attached now should be the original part file (screenshot) and what it looks like with its loss of color. this is using the paint-spray-white, ptc-ceramic, and adv-plastic-injected-white colors, so I'm assuming the problem is with these colors.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:phillips912)

try setting

u3d_create_color_surfaces yes

phillips912
4-Participant
(To:Chris3)

I tried, didn't work.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Is there a problem with the pictures?  They both look identical to me...

phillips912
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

It's hard to see the color change cause they are all shades of white/ beige. Hopefully this makes it a little more obvious.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I just did a quick test.  When I import the STEP file back in all the colored surfaces become the color of ptc-ceramic.  Looks like a case needs to be opened with tech support.  Do you have maintenance?  (I can file a case if you don't...)

phillips912
4-Participant

Yes I do have maintenance, I filed a case with them and have been in contact with them but so far no solutions.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I imported this same STEP file into Solidworks 2018 and there are three distinct white colors, so the issue seems to be with Creo importing the STEP file, not with the export to STEP or missing color information in the STEP file itself.

phillips912
4-Participant

Interesting. On my 'real' assemblies that I originally made this post for (not the screenshots I posted) the colors are also being changed when I open in Solidworks 2017. I figured it had to do with the export but now I'm not sure if this issue is fixed for Solidworks 2018?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I'm not seeing any difference between Solidworks 2017 SP 5.0 and Solidworks 2018 SP 2.0.  Both bring in three different colors of white.

Top Tags