cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Auto renamed files unable to open.

Shaikh_Naushad
7-Bedrock

Auto renamed files unable to open.

Hello Everyone,

I was using Creo 3.0 and recently i upgraded it to Creo 5.0 and uninstalled creo 3.0. Now each part and assemblies are renamed with numerical extensions i don't know how. like cam.prt is renamed to cam.prt.6 and cam.asm is renamed to cam.asm.54 etc and so on. Now whenever I open the files it asks me to choose an app to open .6 files or .54 files etc and i have to select creo 5.0 from C:\program files\*. It is quite annoying and hectic to select each and every time.

Also before opening, files are displayed with thumbnails but after opening it doesn't. Please guide me on how to fix it? should I install creo 5.0 again?

6 REPLIES 6
dcokin
13-Aquamarine
(To:Shaikh_Naushad)

These are sequential save files.  Every time you save, a new file is created.  So, you can go back an find an older version of the file when needed, by deleting all the more recent ones (or moving to another folder).  Most of us have a *.bat file or some other mechanism to "purge" the older files periodically (as well as all the other crap that clutters your working directory, such as trail files, logs, error reports, circular reference reports, mass property reports, etc.).  If you work in a PDM system, you won't deal with these directly.

I suggest you get out of the habit of opening files in Creo by double clicking them in Windows.  Use the "Open" function within the program instead, and set up favorites or "common folders" as needed so you don't have to navigate your directory structure each time.

You can eliminate this behavior with the config.pro option "save_file_iterations no", but this is not recommended, as the ability to go back in time with those older versions can be a big help at times.  Presumably, your old Creo 3 setup had that setting in effect, but your new one doesn't.  I'd leave it alone, and just get used to opening via the program, and purging regularly, such at the end of each workday, or workweek.

(I'd give you the code for my purge *.bat file, but I worry one aspect of it may be proprietary; I wasn't the original author.  I've seen similar ones posted here in the past, and on other forums; perhaps someone else will chime in.  This has been necessary part of the Pro/E experience for a long time.)

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I have done purge several times and it has done the job but the problem is renamed files. For ex. earlier file name was A.drw and opened it via creo and then done some edit and saved it again. Now it is saved as A.drw.2 and suppose i done some more edit and save it for the last time. now the latest file name is A.drw.3 and when i purge in my target folder the only file remains is A.drw.3. And now when i open the latest it prompts me to choose a software to open .3 file and similarly for .5, .6 etc files (based on no. of time i have saved the file).
I know it is easy to open from creo but sometimes i need to go through windows file system and see the files thumbnails etc. Thanks.

dcokin
13-Aquamarine
(To:Shaikh_Naushad)

Yep.  Creo is old unix software, that's been ported to run on Windows.  It still doesn't play nice with the typical windows scheme of using filename extensions to identify file type.  Either open from within Creo, turn off the feature of Creo that appends the numbers, or assign every positive integer as a file type mapped to the parametric.exe application.

...sometimes i need to go through windows file system and see the files thumbnails etc.

You ought to be able to get thumbnails working in Creo's dialogs too.

I suppose, you could try just adding Creo to your "Send to" list for all file types in Windows?  I wouldn't recommend this, but might work for you.  Hit WindowsKey-R, then type "shell:sendto" and hit enter.  Drop a creo shortcut in the folder that opens.  Now you don't have to bother mapping all the file types, but instead of double-clicking, you have to right-click/Send to/Creo every time.

Did you install Creo5 before removing Creo3? If so, you caused your own problem.

When Creo is installed, it loads an association file into the Windows registry that makes the file iterations known as Creo files to the OS so you can click on them and they open in Creo. By removing Creo3 after installing Creo5, the uninstall process removes these associations from the registry.

Try to do a repair on your Creo5 install and see if that will rerun the association file.

The file is out in the loadpoint and can be run manually, just need to find it.

dcokin
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

@BenLoosli wrote:
:...an association file into the Windows registry that makes the file iterations known as Creo files to the OS so you can click on them and they open in Creo.

Only up to version *.250 though...

Can you please guide me how to do the repair for this particular problem, Thanks for your response though.

Top Tags