cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Calculation of resistance in welded structures - Pro/Mechanica

gfraulini
17-Peridot

Calculation of resistance in welded structures - Pro/Mechanica

In which manner do I have to treat the welding in Mechanica?

The welding cordons need to be modeled or not?

Can someone indicate me a book (or pdf) where I can find more information about this argument?

When I frequented the PTC course on pro mechanica, the teacher told us to model the cordons and do the analysis on the structure; but at the university (this argument on FEM was not been much pursued) the prof told us not model the cordons and use the value of tension near where the cordon should be for a "analytical calculation" with a ideal sigma.

What do you think?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Welded joints can be considered in Creo Simulate by following types:

1. Weld joints should be modelled if the focus on analyzing 'welding strength'. So that we may get actual welding failure. Again, it calls for coorect weld properties for the material definition.
  2. If u are sure about welding size, shape and failure, we need not to do this. Eventhough stresses are high in those region they can be assumed.
  3. End Weld and Perimeter weld connections should be used only we define shell idealizations
  4. Predefined Pro/Weld features also act as shells during shell idealized analysis.

Regards,

Shiva

For welds that are not full penetration welds, it is important to analyze the stress concentration from the crack that is built into the weld, especially if the joint is subject to cyclic loading.

Top Tags