cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Changing a file name of a CAD Part/Assembly without breaking the upstream connections

MikeBar81
2-Guest

Changing a file name of a CAD Part/Assembly without breaking the upstream connections

We use Creo 4 with Windchill 11.

If I want to change the file of a CAD part or assembly do I need all the upstream assemblies open or in session? In the past we were told that by not doing this the connection to the file would "break" and our upstream models would either not open or open with the downstream part/assembly missing.

Example:  CAD_1.asm is used on CAD_2.asm.

If I change the file name of CAD_1.asm (IE: CAD_11.asm) do I need to have CAD_2.asm open/ in session to keep the relationship or will Windchill push the updated file name the next time I open CAD_2.asm?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MikeBar81)

If you are using windchill, do the rename within windchill and it handles all the references.

If you do it in Creo, you will need to have every reference that the renamed file is used in open in memory and you will need to make sure the all get saved after the rename.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV

No, you do not need anything open.  As long as the rename is happening in Windchill, all dependencies will automatically remain intact and the correct files will automatically be retrieved when the assemblies are opened in the future.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

If you are using windchill, do the rename within windchill and it handles all the references.

If you do it in Creo, you will need to have every reference that the renamed file is used in open in memory and you will need to make sure the all get saved after the rename.

Steve/ Tom,

Thanks for quick answer to this one guys, your help/ insight is much appreciated!

-Mike

Top Tags