cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Converting from Geomagic Design (formerly Alibre) to Creo Parametric

ptc-6687916
1-Newbie

Converting from Geomagic Design (formerly Alibre) to Creo Parametric

I am not a user of Creo Parametric, but hope to be soon. I currently use Geomagic Design, and my manufacturer (R & R Associates) uses Creo Parametric. I am finding it very difficult to convert my Geomagic Models to Creo Parametric. I have tried using STEP, SAT, IGES, but Geomagic has bugs that don't give good exports for certain models. I have several models that leave holes in surfaces when exported from Geomagic, and won't import properly into Creo.

Does anyone know of a way to directly convert a Geomagic Design model (with all the features) to Creo Parametric?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

hangatablet.com

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, but it is highly "experimental" in my opinion.

You will find some discussion on the feature recognition tool here:

Importing Iges/Step files into Creo Parametric 2.0 for Editing

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Steve, importing feature based geometry into Creo is a slow and very platform oriented development progression. Having never heard of Geomagic, it is likely very low on the list for feature based translation.

However, a good model from Geomagic should export a good STEP file. Step has been the most reliable translation format for most of my work. Only Neutral files have seen even greater compatibility.

I'm going to suggest that there are settings in Geomagic that is limiting the STEP export accuracy. This can cause some trouble for import translations.

Of course, you could contact PTC sales and see what they have or plan with regard to this.

Thanks for your response.

Geomagic Design is now owned by 3D Systems, and they are trying to make it a big player in the 3D modelling space. 3D Systems is currently the largest (or second largest, depending on who you listen to) 3D printer manufacturer in the world, so they have some presence in the marketplace.

Currently, there are no parameters for STEP export, hence the question.

I know that Solidworks has a feature recognition capability, where I can import a STEP model and Solidworks can recognize the features in that model. Does Creo Parametric have such a capability?

Steve

Yes, but it is highly "experimental" in my opinion.

You will find some discussion on the feature recognition tool here:

Importing Iges/Step files into Creo Parametric 2.0 for Editing

Top Tags