cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Create a blend solid part wiht wariable section

ptc-1773559
1-Newbie

Create a blend solid part wiht wariable section

I have a large quantity points coordinate for each section in excel file. These points divide between few plane. One case have a two plane. Another case I have a five planes.Therefore, a five different points data.The quantity of points for each plane a slightly different, all around 30 points for each plane. I need to create smooth solid blend extrusion. Part looks similar to wing or propeller. Problem: 1.After importing this point into offset point table, I can't make a curve, utilize exactly these points. 2. When I try to blend, I have always different number of verticals. Please, maybe somebody have a good reference material which provide step by step solution. Thanks everyone!
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11

do u have a pic of what u want the model to ultimately look like? have u tried creating a 2d sketch on the top plane for example and then using those curves to determine theprofile then creating datum planes offset by XX distance from one another or from center line, and then creating curve sections on each plane then doimg a blend? i think this would work for a wing and prop design, mightnot work for the prop design f the pitch is pretty crazy, but thats why i asked if u had a picture of the part in question. sounds like u are reverse engineering something from a point cloud created by a CMM or some sort of scanner or inspection equiptment and now trying to model it, i'm assuming the part in question is available.

I don't have any picture. All points I get by heavy calculation.

In attachment file with example problem. What is best solution to create blend solid feature, limited by four curve ? Thanks.

Anybody has a detail description and instruction for " Boundary Blend " command? Seems to me that what I need to create my parts. Example above. Unfortunately "Help" does not provide a clear explanation. I am appreciate your help. Thanks.

I would recommend creating a series of datum curves from your point file. I would do this by first altering your point file to an "ibl" file format. This format is pretty straight forward. Just group your sections by adding lines for "begin curve 1" and "end curve 1" around the sections. You could import this file from the Insert, Model Datum, Curve menu. Select from file and grab your ibl file. This should create a series of curves for your sections. Please check the help file for creating a datum curve from file for more info on ibl files. Next, I would use the "Boundary Blend" function as you mentioned. This feature allows you to select sets of curves in one or two directions (think x and y or u and v) to define a surface. In your case you probably just have one direction. Hold the ctrl key down and select the curve sections in order. You should get a preview of the surface as you select the curves. Additional control can be placed on the surface to "smooth" it out as needed. You may need to add some control points to eliminate twisting. To do that, select the control points button on the dash board. Then select a point on each section to blend to. You may have to create some datum points on the curves prior to creating the boundary blend to use control points. You could pause the creation of the boundary blend to do this if needed. I hope that helps.

"Steve G Schroeder" wrote:

I would recommend creating a series of datum curves from your point file. ......... I hope that helps.

Your file appears to be from a student edition which I can not open with my commercial version of Pro/E.

"Steve G Schroeder" wrote:

Your file appears to be from a student edition which I can not open with my commercial version of Pro/E.

Here is a file for you to take a look at.

"Kevin Demarco" wrote:

"Kevin Demarco" wrote:

Top Tags