cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Creo 3 Tapped Hole Visualization?

scott.veix
1-Newbie

Creo 3 Tapped Hole Visualization?

We've been SolidWorks and Inventor and now being corporately directed to ProE/Creo 3. One of the big things lacking (as far as we can tell) is in Creo there is no visual difference in a shaded model between a plain hole and a tapped hole. In SolidWorks and Inventor there is a pattern in the interior of the holes in the model that show clearly it's a tapped hole. In Creo they all look the same.

How can you make a visual model difference between tapped and plain holes in Creo? (without making it an additional step when creating)

Thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

PTC could make many upgrades to visual queues but they have chosen not to expand their core product in this vain.

I make my distinction by using a chamfer on the open ends of the hole the same size as the major thread diameter.

You can manually add your own texture to the thread surface, but I find that tedious.

one issue with my method is that in drawings, I don't get that hidden line font where the threads are.

In general, I still do old fashion drawings... where threads show up properly more often than you want.

For a quick reference, I just go to wireframe mode. That shows threads prominently.

You can always cut your threads Yet another Thread thread - UTS Implementation

I've been doing that a lot more lately now that I got some decent thread sections saved in the sketch palette.

The concerns aren't for drawings, they're for higher level assemblies utilizing many, many, many smaller assemblies. When we insert a purchased component (slide, linear bearing, gearbox, etc) the tapped holes show threads, the clearance holes do not. When we assemble sub-assemblies, or multiple sub-assemblies into higher level assemblies, it's really nice to visually know what's a tapped hole and what's a clearance hole without having to switch back and forth between wire frame and shaded. In fact we construct many things with massive main plates with dozens upon dozens (if not hundreds) of holes, tapped and clearance. When the sub-components are mounted it would be a nightmare to have to double check what's a tapped hole and what's a clearance hole. And trying to handle large assemblies in wire frame you might as well stare at a Spirograph drawing

The impact to storage and part overhead with be hardly noticeable if you could do something as simple as control the mapped feature color of the inside of a tapped hole vs. a clearance hole (tapped holes bright red, clearance holes standard material color?). Same goes for external threads I'd imagine. Can't for a second think that we're the only company that would desire to know a hole is tapped while looking at something in a shaded view.... especially since Inventor and SolidWorks already are riding that bus

Seriously, how hard would it be if you couldn't tell a hole was countersunk unless you switched to wire frame? Or tell an edge was chamfered or rounded without switching to wire frame? You can visually see if there's a minor interference between parts but impossible to visually tell a hole is tapped? Hmmmm, what's wrong with this picture?

On the positive side (and this might sound minor until you experience it), but Autodesk Inventor actually uses MOUSE BUTTON UP as when they accept a selection. Pick a point when sketching and slide the mouse even the tiniest bit before the mouse button is completely UP and you select a point far away from where the mouse button was pressed down. DUH!!!! Thankfully Creo uses mouse button DOWN.... just like AutoCAD

You can easily implement a standard where, when you create a threaded hole, you change the appearance to a color. Take it one step further and have the policy define SAE thread one color and Metric another. If this is managed on a part level as a matter of policy, problem solved.

I really don't want my software determining colors for me. I have seen this implemented and it really messes with me. Therefore it would have to be optional.

Maybe create a product idea for this. It wouldn't be hard to assign a color to the selected or created surface of a hole or cosmetic thread feature.

It is not like it is a missing feature... Creo is quite capable of supporting such a feature. You just have to set up a mapkey to make this simpler.

PTC really hasn't delved into too many things with regard to automation of things already available in separate commands. Whenever they do, it becomes a new optional extension that many of us simple cannot justify or afford. Look at intelligent fasteners for Creo 3, for instance. That may be an even better and more complete solution to your specific need.

The better answer is for the software to note the type of surfaces involved in assembly. So the software would see that the screw surface was assembled to a threaded hole that matched both diameter and pitch. Then it would flag those assembled locations where there is a mismatch, avoiding the need to look one-by-one for color match or some other characteristic.

I also find it handy to name and group features according to function. Then all the clearance holes in an assembly or all tapped holes in an assembly can be selected by Search/Rule, highlighting them.

From experience though, the biggest problem is mismatched pitch and slight diameter mismatch - .250 screws into .190 thread holes, so just having software check that is worthwhile.

Well, that is what the intelligent fastener extension is suppose to take care of.

Hence my comment that you have to buy special extensions without any benefit to the core users.

That is to say, they've done what you asked and went to the very extremes.

Now the onus is back on you to determine, is it really something you need... and are you willing to pay for it.

Obviously some people are paying for it or it wouldn't have happened.

If some people are willing to pay for it, that would imply that the extensions "exist" to do this. And if we see a need for it then we'd like to be able to consider it, so "where" would we go to obtain/purchase this and see if it would answer our needs? Is this third party? PTC? Reseller? Corporately if we see a need and justify the expense, it would happen.

It's a PTC product. Buy it from whoever you bought Creo 3.0 from.

PTC Creo - PTC Creo 3.0 Top Enhancement: PTC Creo Intelligent Fastener Extension (IFX)

Top Tags