cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Creo settings for best results when opening native SolidWorks files to use Unite technology

Doglips
6-Contributor

Creo settings for best results when opening native SolidWorks files to use Unite technology

I opened a native SolidWorks 2018 file to test the capabilities of Unite Technology and all I got was a mass of untrimmed and corrupt surfaces.  Not what I was expecting considering the benefit this will bring to our business.  I'm thinking I'm missing settings somewhere that will result in successful opening of SolidWorks native files.  For clarification, I am looking to use supplied SolidWorks data directly, not an imported file, i.e. the model tree shows a  SolidWorks file, not a Creo part.  So far PTC support suggested fixing the file using IDD, this is not a viable solution as this negates any advantage of using the files directly.  Any help/feedback from those who are successfully using Unite Technology would be appreciated.      

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Doglips)

@Doglips wrote:

I am looking to use supplied SolidWorks data directly, not an imported file...  

You wouldn't know it from the marketing material, but Creo is simply importing the SolidWorks file as a Creo model.  The quality of the resulting Creo model is only as good as the translating process.

From a previous post:

Fundamentally Creo Unite is no different from taking a STEP file, importing it into Creo, and then saving the Creo file.  You really aren't working with the native file, you are just working with a Creo created import of the original file.  Opening a SolidWorks or Catia file in Creo and then saving it to your workspace is really just saving the Creo translated file, regardless of what you call it.  Once that happens you can never work on the original file in the original CAD system again.  It doesn't exist in Windchill.

On the other hand, when using a 3rd party CAD system and a related workgroup manager the native CAD file IS saved to Windchill.  In this case, opening the 3rd party file in Creo will do the same thing, the file will be translated by Creo and a new .creo file will be created.  This .creo file is then saved separately back into Windchill (but hidden) consuming twice the space (or more) than just the native file requires.  Anytime a user re-opens the 3rd party file in Creo, they are really just opening the previously created .creo file, NOT the native 3rd party CAD file.  If the 3rd part CAD tool makes changes to the native file, Creo will need to reimport (re-translate) it again and then update the related .creo file.  (This can be problematic when the Creo user does not have write permissions in Windchill to where the 3rd party CAD file is located because the new .creo file can't be uploaded and associated.)

Doglips
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

Thanks for the quick reply Tom.  I should clarify we are using Creo 4.0 M040 in case that makes a difference.  We aren't using Windchill so some of what was discussed in that thread isn't applicable.  Now, according to the info on the following link, it suggests you are indeed using (referencing) the native data without creating a Creo file: https://www.ptc.com/en/products/cad/creo/unite-technology.  From what I can tell the only time you need to save as a Creo file (aka import/create an additional file) is when you decide to edit the data.  If what is described in the older thread you noted is true, we certainly have some snake oil sales going on...  Still, even if there is a background translation going on when opening a SWx file, I would like it to be useful, not a bunch of useless non-stitched surfaces that bring no value.  I may as well go back to STEP files for data from our SWx friends.   

TomU
23-Emerald IV

This marketing statement is written very carefully:

"While other CAD systems allow you to import non-native files, only Unite technology’s open capabilities give users the ability to work with non-native data without any conversion effort. Users can now incorporate CATIA, Siemens NX, SolidWorks, and Autodesk Inventor data directly into their designs without creating additional business objects."

Let me translate...

"...without any conversion effort" = happening automatically with no additional effort by the user.

"...without creating additional business objects" = the extra .creo file is invisible to the end user and doesn't require management, but it still exists.

To make sure nothing has changed, I just opened a SolidWorks 2018 file in Creo Parametric 4.0 M050.  (Apparently 2018 is now supported.)  Immediately an .xml file was generated in the working directory and a .creo file was generated in the same location as the source SolidWorks file.  So yes, conversion is definitely taking place.  In fact, if the native SolidWorks file is in a location that you don't have write access to (read only network folder, etc.), Creo will fail to "open" it because it's unable to generate the new .creo file in the same location.  Instead you will receive the error, "Cannot retrieve foreign model '<filename>' from read-only location."

Hope this helps.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

From the help documentation:

"Opening the non-Creo parts and assemblies without creating the corresponding Creo models creates near accurate representations of model structures in Creo. Assemblies with native and non-Creo components represent model structures almost accurately as in the source CAD systems. Creo data wraps around the non-Creodata when you open the non-Creo models in Creo applications. The wrapper and the non-Creo data are together stored at the same location." (emphasis mine)

http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/#page/data_exchange%2Fcreo_unite%2FAbout_Opening_Non_Native_Models.html%23

You can configure what templates you want Creo to use during the open ("wrapping") process.  These will allow you to set density, units, accuracy, parameters, etc.  See File --> Options --> Data Exchange.

Keep in mind that the file size of the .creo "wrapper" file is often larger than the original 3rd party CAD.  I suspect the wrapper file actually contains the full geometry definition and the 3rd party CAD file is not used again as long as the timestamp and file size haven't changed.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

My first thought... Are Solidworks 2018 files actually supported already? Usually PTC (and most other companies) 2 or so releases behind in the import/export game.

Doglips
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

From my understanding from M040 on they are.

Top Tags