cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Does anyone know how to open a Solid Works solid model in Pro E or Creo Elements? It is an sldprt file type if that helps.

ptc-5491902
1-Newbie

Does anyone know how to open a Solid Works solid model in Pro E or Creo Elements? It is an sldprt file type if that helps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Robert,

Here is the article for this:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS28543&source=tssearch

These responses cover most of the criteria. Please let the Community know if one of the posts helped to resolve and mark the appropriate post as the "Correct Answer". If you figured it out on your own please share and mark it as Correct.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Gucio
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-5491902)

hi,

you have to install x32 version of Creo2 (even if you have x64 machine). then download and installl SolidWorks Explorer.

Krzysztof
DavidBrand
14-Alexandrite
(To:Gucio)

Not sure this is the case. I have 64bit Creo 2 (M070) and Solidworks Explorer imstalled and I can open Solidworks files directly in Creo.

David,

did you install Solidworks Explorer 64-bit or 32-bit ? Solidworks Explorer 64-bit is not available for free download!

PTC tells that ... On 64bit platform machines you need to avoid 32bit/64bit mixture to be able to use functionality.

User have to install Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M110 (or higher), Creo Parametric 1.0 M010 (or higher), Creo Parametric 2.0 F000 (or higher)..

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Hi Robert,

Here is the article for this:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS28543&source=tssearch

These responses cover most of the criteria. Please let the Community know if one of the posts helped to resolve and mark the appropriate post as the "Correct Answer". If you figured it out on your own please share and mark it as Correct.

I had the same problem as the OP. This article does not fix the problem because Solidwork took down the version 2012 of solid explorer. I installed version 2014 solidwork explorer. Creo 2 can't even see the file, let alone open it. The article did state that Creo only support up to version 2012. If you have a legit link for Solidwork explorer 2012, much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, Nghia.

I am not sure what I did with the SWexplorer but it works on my Creo 2.0 M040.

It has a digital signature of June 13th, 2014. swexplorer.exe, 162 MB (170,502,184 bytes)

Funny, it looks like they just updated it a few days ago. Are you saying the newest version doesn't work?

I have Creo 2 parametric m120. I download the solidwork explorer 2014 from their website yesterday. The article state that installation of SE is all you need for Creo top open SLDPRT. There is no change in config.pro for Creo 2. Am I missing anything?

You have downloaded Solidworks Explorer 32-bit. Solidworks Explorer 64-bit is not available for free download!

Solidworks Explorer 32-bit adds the ability to open Solidworks models in Creo 2 parametric m120 32-bit, ONLY. Therefore you have to install Creo 2 parametric m120 32-bit !!!

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Thank you. That seem like a good resolution. I just recieved my stp version of the model. Also, 32 bit Creo is too constraining for me.

will it open solidworks 2014 files also?

Post a file, Rohit, and I'll give it a shot.

Hi Martin...

Will the SolidWorks Explorer satisfy the requirement for Solidworks DLL files required by Creo View to open SolidWorks models?

Wow... that was gibberish.

Creo View can open SolidWorks files and can export them again as STEP, IGES, JT (I think) as well as PVS and PVZ (which are "Creo View specific" formats). To do this, you need the appropriate MCAD adapter pack for Creo View installed. You also need the SolidWorks DLL libraries installed. This same exact scenario also holds for Siemens NX files.

Therefore, if you have NX or SolidWorks installed on your workstation and you have Creo View with the right MCAD adapters, you can open native SolidWorks and NX files directly in Creo View. You can them dump them back out again as any number of other 3D formats and read them into Creo.

When Unite Technology is finally active, then you can skip this process... but for now it does work if you have the SolidWorks/NX DLL's.

So then the question, finally, is this:

Does the SolidWorks SE Tool provide the necessary SolidsWorks DLL libraries that will enable Creo View to open SolidWorks native files?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks!

-Brian

This is very confusing because I didn't do any of this. I do not have SW on my computer; I run 64bit Creo Pro 2.0 M040, and I installed whatever swexplorer was available in July, 2014. And it now works when I open and filter All Files because I now see *.sldprt files and they open as ABT features.

All I can think is that whatever the DLL does, it is a 32 bit windows function and that it is independent of the 64bit Creo app.

If I am right you just want to open Solid works part in Pro-e or Creo, Why don't you change sldprt file type to .stp or .iges in solid works itself and then open in Pro-e or Creo.

I am not sure what the swexplorer does but it is a nice feature to have. As far as I can tell it is just a DLL file.

ft-2
1-Newbie
(To:catipash)

@syed pasha : That's what I understood, but i think that he has not SolidWorks, so he can't export as STEP or IGES

A solution could be to use CrossManager to convert your sldprt files in STEP or IGES, then, import it in Creo: it is not free, but cheaper than a SolidWorks license.

Hi Steve...

I thought that wasn't true until M020 when Unite technology is finally enabled?

import is available from creo 3.0 f000....

to open we have wait till i guess m030

Probablly the easiest way to address this situation is by opening the file in solidworks and saving/exporting them into a step file. If you don't have solid works, you can down load a student version... my kids did that for their cad classes. Or find a friend that has solid works. Step files worked better over iges for solid works files.

Good Luck to you.

Being able to accept native files from clients is always great P.R.

Being able to work with native files is also a great advantage.

I am glad PTC is putting effort into this for Creo 3.0.

It's about time.

Top Tags