cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Drawing Program User Guide, Tutorial and Hands-On Workshop

nalexandru
12-Amethyst

Drawing Program User Guide, Tutorial and Hands-On Workshop

Hi, everyone,

As it seems that there is not much help on

Drawing Program

, I decided  to open up a new discussion about this.

What I know until now:

- the documentation of Creo 4.0 (I use Creo 2.0- does anyone where I can find that?)

Creo Parametric Help Center

-the fact that

• A drawing program can only have up to 80 characters per line.
  • Characters input beyond 80 will be automatically truncated
  • Line continuation characters are not accepted by drawing program

(courtesy of Tom that pointed me to this: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS34738#_ga=1.116686790.1914719267.1490615705 )

So, the question is:

Is there any Tutorial and/or Hands-On Workshop for Drawing Program?

as I found for the Pro/PROGRAM:

Tutorial: Pro/PROGRAM Primer

Pro/PROGRAM Tutorial

https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/files/13343/Pro_Program_HOW.pdf?.. with the models files downloaded from here:

https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/files/13344/proe_data.zip?1342610431 taken from here:

how to use pro/prgram in ptc creo or proe wilfire 5.0 - GrabCAD

I will start searching for something similar to update the discussion.

Keep in touch,

Nic.

52 REPLIES 52

Please check PTC's "Learning Exchange" page: Searching for 'drawing'

Hi, Vladimir.

I checked: there's nothing there.

Do you have some experience with Drawing Program?

Nic.

Yes, I have experience in Creo in the past, but I am now on Siemens NX.

It's such a shame that there is no knowledge about Drawing Program.

It's such a powerful tool!! And with Pro/PROGRAM could bring a lot of opportunities to an automated process in drawing.

I started to play with and I was very pleased of what it can do.

I tried to place a Symbol in one of the states and I couldn't find how. I know you can create detailed instances like the dimensions, notes and balloons but

I haven't found how to create/insert a Symbol in a View State.

I used the Help to find how's done:

To Create Detail Items in a Drawing State

To create detail items such as dimensions, notes, and balloon notes in a drawing state, choose Create from the DWG COMMANDS menu that appears when you click Tools > Drawing Program > Define States > Create State > Record Cmds. Items that you create in one state are not visible in any other state or outside of the drawing program.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite
(To:nalexandru)

if you just want to add, say for example a cloud symbol, to a view or part or whatever that is embedded in a state, then i think I have a solution for you.

Is that what you are looking to do?

yes. a symbol with a text in it for example. so I change the language, it will be a different state with a different symbol with the new language. More simply put: a cloud symbol that I could see in a particular View State

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

okay great.

create a state > create a note in that state.

Video Link : 7810

Will this work?

edit:    is that video working?

The video is working.

I have to study to understand.

So, basically, you create the custom symbol thru a note?

I will study it tomorrow.

Thank you,

nic.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

Yeah so if it was a cloud symbol just do &sym(cloud)

or if it is a banana symbol do &sym(banana)

banana seems to be my go to for examples

and all the custom symbols have to be in a directory defined in config.pro? so the system could find it?

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

The arrangement and setup of symbols and the ability to update them is a whole different can of worms.

For this example of only using symbols in drawing programs, the symbols must at least be in the drawing memory.

For example the symbol star.sym might be in the folder that the config option pro_symbol_dir points to, but it can not, (by can not I mean I don't know how), be called by the note &sym(<symbol name>).

So as far as I know you will need to add all the symbols to the drawing if you want to call them with a note.

Oh, I see: I insert them all in the drawing and then make them disappear or (reappear if they are erased).

I will try tomorrow, I hope, if my time will allow me.

Now I am stuck with the propagation of a parameter form the assy to the parts: why doesn't an assy parameter is not used in the Pro/Program of a part in the assy?

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

you can just add them then delete them. After that you can call them in the note.

A parameter is local to the model it's used in. Just like any variable is local to the function or subroutine. Otherwise there would be no way to know which parameter was being referred to.

Seems that works your solution. But the symbol has to be already in the drawing in my case. Or in a directory I don't know which it is as in your case: you inserted the name of the symbol without using it in the drawing previously, right?

How do I manage it? I cancel it from Show/Erase menu under Record Commands?

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

As far as I know you will need to add all the symbols to the drawing if you want to call them with a note.

everything was working perfect since this afternoon:

I can't make display the Model Annotations!! Everything is grey when I right click and choose Show Model Annotations!!

Do you have any idea what is the cause and how can I resolve it?

Please

Nic.

EDIT: there were ALL erased in one View. I had to un-erase them all to make them available for Show/Erase dialog again

after so many years of using this software I was not aware of this very useful option....I like this....

Thanks for sharing.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite
(To:manjunathrv)

yeah It's really great. If you have any questions I would be happy to help out with whatever I can.

Thanks. Appreciate.

I will try out the options and let you know if I have any questions.

Regards,

Manjunath

Hi, again,

I still struggle with editing View States. My problem is I have to work on a drawing with almost 300 states. Is there any way to "isolate" some of this states to work with? They don't have any "playable" commands.

Thank you again,

nic.

what kind of models are you trying to automate?

I think you are going the wrong way with 300+ display states.

maybe you should make a couple of different templates, depending on the basic features of the model.

a bushing assembly.

there is no way to understand which state is active at a given moment? and act on those accordingly?

more then one state can be active at once - all of them that have met the conditions (if clauses).

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

I have to give you credit for doing 300 states. Doing that many would be difficult to manage, but as with any complicated system, I'm sure it could be done.

With that said I agree with Robert, I would look at the model and see if you could reduce the number of states.

But back to the question about how to know what state you are in. I have a method that I use fore my more complicated drawing programs where in each state I create an annotation that says "STATE X IS ACTIVE".  So I would have one annotation per state that is created in that state that indicates which state(s) are 'set'.

Did I explain that okay?

Yes! You explained it well. And seems a good idea. But still I have the issue of editing state by state and creating a note ”State X Active” for my almost 300 view states...

I really have difficulties with simple tasks, for example:
-how can I make visible a draft dimension in a specified state if that dimension is ”hidden” in a view and I don't have the useful menu in the Drawing Tree of Annotations under the name of the views. Is only available when you switch to the Annotate tab. I don't know if I was clear.

Is it possible to move a Drawing Note from a View to the Format (General Annotations category in the Drawing Tree)?

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

Are you just trying to show a hidden dimension?

I'm not positive I'm following exactly what you are asking.

Yes, I'm trying to show a hidden dimension.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

did you ever end up with a solution?

Top Tags