cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Equality Symbols

lkerila
1-Newbie

Equality Symbols

Hello folks,

Happy new years.

Say, I found I could add a less/greater than or equal symbol to my drawing
by holding the ALT key and typing the ASCII code # 242 or 243. Great! Why
isn't this in the Pro/E symbol palette?

Now for the bummer: when I create a PDF file (straight from Pro) it
DOESN'T PRINT the symbol! WTF?

Any solutions, other than creating my own custom symbol?

Cheers,

-Lar

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
19 REPLIES 19
bkurth
7-Bedrock
(To:lkerila)

Here you go...

<u>Tip: To Make a ≥ or ≤ Symbol Within a Note:
</u>

Format note as follows:

@#>@# OR @#<@#
Now change the font of character '>' or '<', select the note and move the pointer over the character '>' or '<'. Select the character '>' or '<' and right click on it. Select Text Style, change the font to 'Cal_grek'

In Reply to Lar Kerila:

Hello folks,

Happy new years.

Say, I found I could add a less/greater than or equal symbol to my drawing
by holding the ALT key and typing the ASCII code # 242 or 243. Great! Why
isn't this in the Pro/E symbol palette?

Now for the bummer: when I create a PDF file (straight from Pro) it
DOESN'T PRINT the symbol! WTF?

Any solutions, other than creating my own custom symbol?

Cheers,

-Lar

Brilliant! Thank you Brian.
A.DelNegro
4-Participant

So I finally download the Granite Cross-release interoperability file
and when I unzip the file, the only thing there is a DLL.

Is that it? What am I supposed to do with that? I did look up the
instructions to install a dll and this is what I got when I tried to
install it...

Anyone know what I need to do to get this running? I still can't open
the file.

Granite plugins, there are versions for 32bit and 64bit and the specific release you are on.

The Granite stuff is hidden on the website and you will not find the plugin on the download page.

Actually, Brian's method has a serious short coming. When I change the font style to Cal Greek, it always changes the style for the entire line of text (dimensions too). I don't want that, since it will force me to have to create a separate note in order to work around this limitation. Any other bright ideas?

Larry,
Do this
Note with font changed inline {1:<} or {3:>}

With the curly braces separating the special characters, you can now pick on the symbol in the note until just that it hi-lites in red, then RMB text style, change the font from default to Cal Greek.

David Haigh

I should have been more clear. I am trying to do this for a dimension. I already knew that I could segment the text in a line of text for a note. However, this technique does not appear to work for dimensions. Any other ideas?

That really sucks!

You can use the curly braces in a dimension and it does separate that piece of text so you can pick it by itself, but like Lar points out, you can't change the font of that character, because it changes the full line.

You can put in some special characters, but I haven't found the symbol Larry's looking for.

Here's how you put a special character into a note and dimension.

Here's how to get a proper copy write symbol character into a ProE drawing or format.

* In windows pick Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map

* Change the font in the Character Map window to Courier. (it's the most universal.)

* Hi-Lite the Copy Right symbol and pick the Select button at the bottom of the window.

* Then pick the Copy Button. You can now paste this into a note in ProE.

[cid:image001.png@01CBB97C.9B8CF2A0]

David Haigh

Yeah, this is no different than where I started - ASCII character codes. I still can't get them to show on the PDF drawing unless I tick "stroke all fonts" and then they look like crap (guess maybe I can control that with a modified pen table file?).
rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine

If you first go into the text editor you can make the single character it's own line, change the font, then go back into the text editor and remove the carriage returns without deleting the brackets it will leave the new font on the selected characters. I know it's dumb to have to do all this, but it works.

Rob Reifsnyder
Mechanical Design Engineer/ Pro/E Librarian
L
Mission Systems & Sensors (MS2)
497 Electronics Parkway
Liverpool, NY 13088
EP5-Quad2, Cube 281
A.DelNegro
4-Participant

I have this pyramid that I would like to make a flat pattern of. For
some reason it won't let me rip one of the corners to flatten it.
Anyone have any clues why? I tried to do an edge rip using the inside
or the outside edge and all I get is the message "Could not construct
feature geometry"

Tony,

I tried it in WF5 M060 and it seems to work all right.

I constructed one as a solid blend, selected
Application<sheetmetal<shell to=" create=" the=" first=" wall=" and=" then=" tried<br="/>both the Conversion button and the Rip button from the sheetmetal
toolbar to assign the rip corner and it worked fine with either one.
Varying the shape of the part dramatically doesn't seem to cause it to
fail, either.

Regards,
James

Hi Tony,

Spoon feed it.
Make a solid of your final geometry. Add rounds for bent edges.
Add cuts for bend relief. Add cuts for material edge. Shell it.
Then import to sheet metal and flatten it.
Using this method also gives you amazing control over the end geometry.
Bend relief often fails when the edges are not perpendicular.
Just spoon feed it until it works.

Best regards,

Frederick Burke
bkurth
7-Bedrock

You're right, the entire line of text in the dimension changes. That sucks. Here is one workaround...not the best, but it does work.

Put your dimension in and place a single (or double) space between the left and right side of what your want your symbol to separate. Then place a free note in the blank space, put in your symbol and changethe font. Once the text is aligned properly, it willappear to be just a dimension.You can thengroup the text to an object & pick the dimension. If youhave to drag the dimension, the text will follow. I even moved the dimension from one view to another, and they still appeared okay.

Like I said, not the cleanest, but it does work.

Brian

In Reply to Lar Kerila:

Actually, Brian's method has a serious short coming. When I change the font style to Cal Greek, it always changes the style for the entire line of text (dimensions too). I don't want that, since it will force me to have to create a separate note in order to work around this limitation. Any other bright ideas?

This technique does NOT work for dimensions. I didn't try it with text.

I've been using Pro/E for 20 years. Admittedly, this is the first time I've run across the need for equality symbols on a drawing. However, in this case it is a drawing for cosmetic inspection criteria. You'd think PTC would have the equality symbols built in to the symbol palette.

PTC! PLEASE FIX THIS!!!
bkurth
7-Bedrock

For those that may be interested...

This method DOES work, as described, but depending on the method used to create the output document,the text can be messed up. Lar & I spent a little time troubleshooting, and we discovered that when the SaveAs PDF function in Pro/E is used, the output is messed up. If the Acrobat Distiller is used, though, it will print okay. Not everyone has the distiller, though. If you have access to the Acrobat Distiller, it is a quite reliable PDF creator.

There are also other PDF creation programs out therethat may avoid this issue, but I have not tried them. There are various suggested PDF creation programs in other threads within the forum.

Brian

In Reply to Lar Kerila:

This technique does NOT work for dimensions. I didn't try it with text. I've been using Pro/E for 20 years. Admittedly, this is the first time I've run across the need for equality symbols on a drawing. However, in this case it is a drawing for cosmetic inspection criteria. You'd think PTC would have the equality symbols built in to the symbol palette. PTC! PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

I agree with evreyone else. PTC please fix.
Every symbol should be available in the text symbol pallett. Microsoft uses allows you to use all symbols.
Isn't Creo-Pro "Microsoft compatible"?????

In Reply to Brian Kurth:

For those that may be interested...

This method DOES work, as described, but depending on the method used to create the output document,the text can be messed up. Lar & I spent a little time troubleshooting, and we discovered that when the SaveAs PDF function in Pro/E is used, the output is messed up. If the Acrobat Distiller is used, though, it will print okay. Not everyone has the distiller, though. If you have access to the Acrobat Distiller, it is a quite reliable PDF creator.

There are also other PDF creation programs out therethat may avoid this issue, but I have not tried them. There are various suggested PDF creation programs in other threads within the forum.

Brian

In Reply to Lar Kerila:

This technique does NOT work for dimensions. I didn't try it with text. I've been using Pro/E for 20 years. Admittedly, this is the first time I've run across the need for equality symbols on a drawing. However, in this case it is a drawing for cosmetic inspection criteria. You'd think PTC would have the equality symbols built in to the symbol palette. PTC! PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

I believe that it's worth a try to look at using true type fonts in your
documents and then checking to see if the symbol works.

Unless you enable true type fonts, none of the Microsoft font technology
will work correctly. (Font scaling, font substitution, etc...)

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

There are some instructions on how to setup Ghostscript to create a pdf from a postscript plot file in the talk I gave at last year's PTCUser conference. "ProE Admin 101, putting all the pieces together"

The information you need is on slide 54, there is a link to a pdf with more detail and if you look inside the zip files you will the batch file and some of the other related files to make it work.

This is the link to the presentation page.
Top Tags