cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Family table creating from existing family table

DebraTossey
1-Newbie

Family table creating from existing family table

I am looking at creating a new family table of a part from one of our existing family tables. I have tried to save a copy of the generic and hoped the instances would go along for the ride, but to no avail.

Can someone provide step by step how to take an existing family table to create a new family table?

Thanks in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DebraTossey)

Saving a copy of the generic normally brings the family table with it.  You will need to open the model and rename the instances before they will appear in the File/Open dialog...

open the model and rename...

I am confused.

When is this step done? Before or after the attempt to save the family table.

BTW I am running Creo 2.0 M160 with Windchill.

Can I save a copy of the family table within Windchill easier than within Creo?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I wondered if you were using Windchill.  That definitely changes things.  In that case you are better off doing the save-as in your workspace.  This will give you the opportunity to rename all the instances at the same time as the generic.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Here's the section from Windchill Help talking about saving family tables in Windchill.  Pay attention to the last line.  It can create new instances in existing tables (and if I remember correctly, doesn't even show a modification to the generic when doing so).

You can create a copy of any family table member (generic or instance) in your workspace or in the commonspace by using the Save Ascommand. Moreover, depending on how you select the family members, you can use the Save As command to do the following:

• Copy the entire set of instances.
  • Copy the generic object only (as a standalone object).
  • Copy a partial set of instances
  • Copy a single instance object (as a new instance of existing table, not as a standalone object).
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Just to refresh my memory, I did some testing.  Here is a summary:

Stand-alone Creo - Disconnected from Windchill

Save a copy on the generic only

• New generic is created.
    • Family table is preserved.
    • New instances keep their original names. ***

2.png
*** This means instances from both generics cannot be open or in session at the same time. ***

3.png

Save a copy of a single instance

• Only the instance is copied
    • New stand-alone part is created (no family table).

1.png

Connected to Windchill

Save a copy of the generic only - from Creo

• Not allowed due to instance name conflicts

Save a copy of the generic only - from a workspace

• Only the instance is copied.
    • New stand-alone part is created (no family table).

Save a copy of the generic and some (or all) instances - from a workspace

• New generic and related instances created.
    • Family table kept intact for all selected instances.

Save a copy of a single instance only - from a workspace

Generic set to "New Object"

• By default, Windchill wants to create a new generic with a family table of only this one instance
      • End result, one new generic and one new instance, both completely unrelated to the original objects.

Generic set to "Reuse"

• New instance is immediately added to existing Generic (without checking out or revising the generic)
      • This new instance is now part of the original family table, even though the generic was never actually modified.

Windchill - From Commonspace

Save As of a single instance only

Generic set to "New Object"

• By default, Windchill wants to create a new generic with a family table of only this one instance
      • End result, one new generic and one new instance, both completely unrelated to the original objects.

Generic set to "Reuse"

• New instance is immediately added to existing Generic (without checking out or revising the generic)
      • This new instance is now part of the original family table, even though the original generic was never actually modified.
      • There doesn’t appear to be any way to delete this new instance without checking out the generic and removing it manually from the family table.

This Works for me

Open Generisk from Workspace

<Save As> – <Save a Backup>

Choose local disc

Close file and erase Memory

Choose “No Server”

Open Generic in Creo

Manage File – Rename

Open the Familie Table
Rename all the Instance in the table

Verify and then Save

Go Online