cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

File format

gannuagastya
6-Contributor

File format

What file format is ideal to import Solidworks and NX files to Creo Parametric in order to not lose the features and geometry? I tried importing .step file but once I do that, I'm not able to alter the sketches or any other features of the part. It just shows "import feature id#" in the model tree as posted below.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:gannuagastya)

Not possible.  The geometry can be converted but not the native features.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:gannuagastya)

Not possible.  The geometry can be converted but not the native features.

ThoRig
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

If you're dealing with CATIA, and you have purchased the CATIA collaboration extension (about 9K for each version, V4, V5, etc.) then yes, you can manipulate native features and save the work in CATIA native file format.

Hello Tom,

Can you provide any input to my post under Data Exchange concerning the importation of V5 files?  Thanks.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ThoRig)

I'm sorry.  I do not currently work with any Catia files.  Do you have active maintenance?  If so I would suggest opening a case.  If not then I'm willing to try opening one but I will need a couple of Catia files to submit as examples...

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ThoRig)

@ThoRig wrote:

If you're dealing with CATIA, and you have purchased the CATIA collaboration extension (about 9K for each version, V4, V5, etc.) then yes, you can manipulate native features and save the work in CATIA native file format.

Have you seen this demonstrated or actually done it yourself?  From everything I can read about the collaboration extension, it will allow you to open the files, dynamically update when changes are made to them, and do a 'Save-As' back out to the native format, but nowhere do I see any ability to actually manipulate (or even view) the native features.  Take a look at the video at the bottom of this page.  Notice that when the collaboration extension is used, no native features are present in the model tree for the non-PTC models (Catia, NX, etc.)

https://www.ptc.com/en/products/cad/creo/unite-technology/collaboration-extensions

Top Tags