cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

HEEEELP! How to edit an .igs file on PTC Creo?

joates
1-Newbie

HEEEELP! How to edit an .igs file on PTC Creo?

Hello,

I am using PTC Creo Parametric 2.0 and I really need to edit an .igs file!

I can import it and open it but i cannot modify the geometry or like modify the original sketch...I am just able to move the parts.

What I need to do is to create another sketch over the geometry and the 3D I import, cause I need to draw and add another "piece" to it.

If anyone knows how to do it please reply!

Thanks in advance

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
214 REPLIES 214
dkessler
5-Regular Member
(To:Patriot_1776)

I concur bout the MS ribbons. (bs ribbons). You seem rather knowledgeable with Creo. I'm the lone Com Sci guy in an office with 4 Engineering Drs. and Creo is blowing my mind. I installed WIndchill 10.0 on our server.

I had Creo 2.0 M100 working fine on my Windows 7 desktop until I updated Java. At 'ell broke lose. Now when open Creo 2.0 there is a dialogue box that says "Adobe Flash is recquired to view this content. Download the latest version of this plugin". Well, my Adobe Flash is up-to-date, 13.0.0.214 If I try to update it again, it looks like it's updating, but Creo 2.0 keeps warning Flash needs updated.

I can live with that. But since updating Java to 1.7.55, now I can't connect to Windchill thru Windchill Cabinets. When I click on Windchill Cabinets, I keep getting Script Error dialog box. "Object doesn't support property or method 'addEventListener". Plus many more Script Error boxes after closing this one.

My "old" XP box has Creo 2.0 on it. I'm running Flash 13.0.0.214 on it and Java 1.5.22. Guess what? Works PERFECT! I can connect to Windchill 10.0, no error messages, just hums. But somehow this is antiquated?

Last week I read about the problems with Java update 55 with Windchill 10.0. For some reason today I can't find that page. It had red background, lots of links. I didn't have time to read them all.

On my broke Windows 7 client I've uninstalled Java 6 times and reinstalled earlier versions back to 7.21. I've uninstalled Flash once and reinstalled newest version, still get the stupid dialogue box. Uninstalled Creo 2.0 and all of its extra tenacles I believe and pain stakingly downloaded from PTC Creo 2.0 M100 again and installed it. Looks the same. Flash dialog box. Script Errors when I try to connect to Windchill.

I'm at wits end. Any advice that helps wins you a cold draft when you pass thru Ames, IA. Thanks.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dkessler)

.....a sharp stick to poke yourself in the eye with? It's been working for me.....

Darin, Have you tried Java 6 update 38? We are on WIn 7 and that is what most of our computers have and there doesn't seem to be a problem running Creo2 M90-M100. Creo still crashes every time most of us try to close, but at that point, a failure is a slight inconvenience and not really a problem.

Customizing the ribbon is alleviating most of the pain. Basically combining mapkeys with most used functions seems to work well. The most annoying parts about Creo for us is not the interface, but some of the tools that they broke (or made more complex), that worked really well in Creo (Tabs, show/erase, adjusting leader lines, etc). For us the good with the bad balances out perhaps a little bit in the better direction...once we get used to all the changes.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"

Darin,

I'm running Creo 2.0 M100 and Windchill 10.1 M030 on an HP laptop with Windows 7 Pro 64x SP1, Adobe Flash Player 12, and Java 7 Update 55.

We were warned to NOT install Internet Explorer 11 because Windchill would stop working from within Creo. Creo uses IE as its embedded browser to access Windchill. So, I'm still running IE 10.0.9200.16899 with update version 10.0.16.

I'd check to make sure you're NOT running IE 11.

I am that young. I've started with Creo 1.0 as my first main CAD system when I started working full time.

I've just removed all the GUI obstacles with mapkeys, and moved on.

Now, my only problem on Creo 2.0 are the mapkeys, which is what may hopefully get fixed in Creo 3.0.

Wheelsofsteel
5-Regular Member
(To:joates)

Jeremy

I can understand the frustration going from WF5 to Creo 2, it is a big step and takes some time to get use to it.

Personally, I found WF5 a big problem, as I work with the manufacting side, they had screwed the new interface, disabled the old system, which can be turned back on via a hidden option " enable_classic_nc_steps", this one is so hidden, the support guys didn't even know about it,i had to scream down the phone line before PTC hand it over.

with Creo 2 they have made an attempt to fix a lot of the bugs that was in Creo 1, you really would be upset if you had Creo 1.

we always keep upto date with each new release, this helps when making big steps from an old version . I am the office lab rat, I usually switch over around november to any new version, and spend till january sorting it out, before the rest of the office swtich over at the end of january, that way we can avoid mass confusion as someone in the office can assist.

Hints and tips

1. create your own custom ribbon with all the commands you need on one ribbon make it more like WF5 if you want, it need to save the creo_parametric_customization.ui in the following location

C:\Users\lyonsp\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.Settings

yes it is store in wildfire setting folder, not creo ?????

make sure the option" load_ui_customization_run_dir" is set to" NO "in your config.pro

with the two thing above set, you will have the same ribbon every time.

2. PURGE COMMAND

with the internal structure changed in Creo, it handles external programs differently, the following is an extracte from our PTC support for how to set the purge command

Dear Peter,

Regarding the issue of purge command, could you please test these things

1. Set an environment variable called PATH to bin folder (example C:\PTC\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin)

1. Set config.pro option terminal_command to C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe

1. Ensure purge.exe file is available at C:\PTC\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M030\x86e_win64\obj

1. PTC installation folders should have write permissions

Please let us know if it fixes

environment variable are set via the control panel, if there is a path set already for other programs, add the PTC path for the location of the PURGE command on the end. The main ones to set is the PATH and the config.pro option for terminal.

3. MAPKEYS

Again our support informed us that the structure of mapkeys has changed, a lot of the pre set mapkeys are gone, and basically we had to reset all our mapkeys.

4. The system information window is a very helpful tool to use, to find out what license you are running, what optional modules are loaded, and the load paths for all the setting files, it is located on the file\help

system+info.JPG

system+2.JPG

system+help+3.JPG

Nobody likes change, but our view here is if we keep the update process current to the latest release, the steps will be only small ones.

And one passing thought......

I have been told that PTC is in the transtion phase with creo , from the old software direction, to where they want the new software to be in 2016, and that they are doing this in 5 steps ( Creo 1 to 5 ), I would recommend that everyone try to keep up to date with the latest version.

Peter

Thanks for the info Peter.

If this is any indication of the direction they're heading, I cringe......

Wheelsofsteel
5-Regular Member

Hi 

No...., PTC is keeping their cards close to their chest, and that the scary part.

I have a munafacturing system of over 7000 files, all in the old turning interface.

We have asked for a firm commitment for compatablity after Creo 5, can't get an answer.

As myself and my second have now seen how Creo is handling the old manufacturing files, some file just don't function, conflicts with parameters, and the lack of direction from PTC on this issue, we are more than convinced that at some stage in the future, support for old interface will be disabled permanetly.

This leaves us with the update or not to update question, and our companies directive is to keep up to date with our software, so I am now tying to redo as many files as possible in the new interface.

PTC is being very secertive in the direction, when we recieved WF5 we was told WF6 was coming, then the bomb shell, scrapping the wf platform and releasing Creo all within 12 months, they knew this was going to happen, they didn't just wake up one morning and say, lets just change everything just for the sake of it.

This is a long term business stratergy.

While I can understand the reasons why they have to do that and why the need for them to not show their hand because of the competition.., but they need to understand that we need direction and guidance so we can develop our business to suit the software direction, we are their customers...not their unpaid R & D team.

Peter

Wow, sorry to hear that! I've seen issues going from WF to creo where things just.....fail.

One thing, I've been told and also read this several places, when they make such a huge leap, completely redo your start parts. Do NOT, say, just open your WF4 parts in creo, and save them as your new start parts. Create completely new ones. As bad as it sounds like they're changing the software and as frequently, I'd make new starts parts every release.

This is extremely frustratin for a long-time user like me. Preiously, it all just worked. We never had to give thought to problems and incompatabilities like this.

To me, they're going the wrong direction, and the other expert users tend to agree with that sentiment.

Best of luck!

Wheelsofsteel
5-Regular Member

Hi

it is a pain, the fact that every version thay change the file format, so file saved in creo 2 can't be opened in creo 1 or below. while I understand the logic, it forces every one in a company to be on the same level, but it is also counter productive in other ways.

If I could open files saved in creo with other versions, I could have wf4 still loaded to open the old manufacturing files to maintain support....problem solved, support for the old system.

but they won't change that..

Peter

ayust
1-Newbie
(To:joates)

Our hate for Creo isn't about adapting to change. Like the comment about the steering wheel and the brake being in the right place in a car (don't change it!), that's the point! Another example. Suppose you get a new job, and instead of using MS Excel, your new employer uses Fly-By-Night Spreadsheets. You get used to it, sure - it's CHANGE, after all. Any college student would be happy to use a spreadsheet that doesn't sort, doesn't use formulas, doesn't allow text in the cells - only numbers - SURE! What fun! They need a job, so it's NO PROBLEM. They ask, "what's wrong with the old geezers who miss the sort command - EMBRACE CHANGE!"

This is NOT about change. It's about programmers writing software that functions well, like SolidWorks. It's about a company with excellent customer service (SolidWorks), a company who LISTENS to user input about improvements to software and interface, a company with a huge and supportive user group community (again, SolidWorks). PTC is not even in the ring.

For anyone who wants a copy of my spreadsheet comparing 142 items between Creo and SolidWorks, please provide your name and email address.

Hi,

I'd like a copy of your spreadsheet.

Preben Reventlow - preben.stougaard.reventlow@systemair.dk

Starting in a new job next month, working in SolidWorks and Siemens NX.

Keeping my place here in the community in case I return to "Creppo"

ProMan
1-Newbie
(To:ayust)

@Anne Yust,

Do you follow the news and plans for solidworks? Solidworks has an unclear future, thy are going to dump parasolid kernel and migrate to CATIA kernel, Solidworks will be CATIA lite. Do you know what that implies? it means a nightmare for lagacy data.users are not only fearful of the future, they are feeling the negative imapact for 5 years now. the software has literally stagnated since 2008, when they started working on Solidworks V6. Solidworks LISTENS to customers? are you joking here? Solidworks the company is completely out of touch, the users are completely unaware of what future holds for them, how are they going to use their legacy data? how does the new platform manage their data, are they forced to use ENOVIA V6 crap and cloud just to run their small shops? a ton of unanswered questations. now compare that with Creo, PTC has a clear vision about it, they started informing everyone about whats going to happen to their product when they anounced ProE to Creo transition back a couple of years ago, and now they are following the plan. The future for Creo is BRIGHT, while SOLIDWORKS will DIE, this isn't my word, this is what Jeff Ray former CEO of solidworks has said. what will happen to costumers and third party addons buit for current version of Solidworks, he has NOT said.

BTW, are you comparing Creo elements direct to solidworks? its like comparing apples to oranges, perhaps you think Solidworks is a direct modeler...

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:ProMan)

For this one, you are correct... the writting has been on the wall for quite a few years. The current core is licensed and Dassault wants to own the engine.

canderson
6-Contributor

The steering wheel use to be horse reins, the brake was a pull on the reins and to go was a kick in the side... Then evolution and the brake was a hand brake and the steering wheel was two levers. The dimmer Switch use to be on the floor board and you had to step out of the car to use a hand crank just to start it. Really... I can understand the frustration.. but I also know every business I worked for if they never attempted to improve the product they would not stay in business. What everyone here should experience is a relationship with Catia.. we complain about start parts that don't migrate forward. I can recreate all my startparts in a day.... Dassult when moving from V4 to V5 completely changed the core of the models. You had to STEP or translate your V4 to V5. How would everyone like that experience. We tend to get complacent with our current situation. Trust me the grass is dead on the other side. Don't get me started regarding cost and additional applications that Dassault charges. $5,000 dollars per person for s STEP license. If you want to share your licence from a US business with your internal design center in China... You can't. At least that was the way it was 6 years ago. I could write a book on how dead the grass is on the other side. It is up to the "expert users" to inform PTC regarding what they want.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Anne, you're comparing SW to Creo what? I thought you said that you were using Creo Elements / Direct. Comparing that to SW is apples & oranges. SW is a feature based, parametric modeler better compared to Creo Parametric. Comparing Creo Elements / Direct to SW is like comparing a Ferrari and a F150, they were built for different purposes.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

The F150 is (was) a Ferrari...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F150

Hah!

Does anyone have the tldr version?

We made the move about 2 months ago now...I think it is complete JUNK!!! In two months I've found maybe 4 features I like better and everything else takes 2-3X the steps to do something, or doesn't do it at all. If it was up to me, we would go back to Wildfire, or change to Solid Works.

Yup.

We got the same responce, from our WF Users.

They shouldnt have changed the WF to Creo, They should have changed it from WF to WTF !!!.

Sorry for the bad jokes, This crappo software, is so bad, that only humor remains.

I want, solid edge, Inventor, Solid works, NX... Hell ill even go to 2d if that would get creo of my computers

Hi

Could you explain why they shouldnt have changed the WF to Creo

Software consultant.

Not hawing personally worked with WF. I can tell u what the users i have are saying.

1. Everything task more clicks.... This is NOT just getting used to new menus. More that the old menus (that you still have to use) are "hidden" beneath layers and layers of menus.. Same thing with WF hiding the older Pro/e menus, beneath a layer og cluttered WF menus.

2. Things just doesnt work !! Again, i cant really tell you, what wont work, because it changes. One day the tree wont update. Then a menu wont work for a day. A pattern will fail( that worked yesterday) and. so on.

3. Frustrating, to the point of Tears. Add these things up, and you get frustration.

We have a saying here. Shall i do it fast, or shall i do it in Creo.

To point 1, I cannot agree.

Our customers have not this experience. (Maybe I dont know about this)

To point 2. First try run Creo Parametric without OLD Wildfire config.pro

Software consultant.

1. Perhaps youre right, as i said, i cannot compare to WF. i CAN compare to other systems, and BOY is there chock waiting there. Going from inventor to Creo is really a change. Not so much, because you have to do think differently. More because you have to tell the gui, the same things again and again. just about every task, will take 50-500% more clicks. Basicly every thing, you as an inventor user is used to inventor doing, you now have to tell creo to do manually. But this isnt to be a rant, saying i want to use inventor. That choise i can only make, by changing workplace. This IS about Creo not working, not being customizable, not beeing stable, not beeing able to be trusted to update the tree, not being well documented, and generally not feeling like being developed by people that have to work with it.

It reminds me of the 80's bmw, that had electrical mirror adjustment in the driver side, and a handle on the inside on the passanger side mirror. : So if you wanted to adjust the mirrors, the one near you was eeeeasy, and the other one you had to reach.. Creo is like reaching for the passenger side mirror.: It can be done, but noone thought for 10 min. about making it nice to do

2. We had the support guy here, running through the config.pro's, for 10 houre. Weeeeding out old WF crap. And boy did it help.. No really it did. We created new templates, new formats and new mapkeys.Now that means our old projects, have trouble opening, but at least, Creo is now no longer a cancer to produktivity, just a wery heavy migrane combined with a lungdisease

Terrible

Who support your company. PTC or PTC reseller?

Software consultant.

I guess they are resellers.

And at least they try.

But my problem is as much, that normally i dont feel, the problems are being solved. i feel like more like im being told that.

oh, so you want to go out the drive way backwards, drive to work while going, forwards and then back into the parkingspot... oh no, you cant do that.

You either have to park the car so you can go forwards out the driveway, back up while going to work, and THEN you can back into the parking space.

OR

You can go like normal, and PUSH the var into the driveway.

regarding that it doesnt work.

here is another one i fund today ( havent heard from support yet, todays a hollyday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7LDZSdJBdk&feature=em-upload_owner

just read that inventor 2013 has a new option..where if u change dimension of one entity, the sketch scales accordingly..wow is that true?

Sorry no idea, havent gotten to 2013.. yet. But at least you dont have to lock every dimension and you dont have to recreate dims, because Inventor decides to replace them

just wanted to tell..this new functionality of inventor is there in proe since ages....

solidworks just introduced model player functionality in solidworks 2012..again proe has it for a very very long time.

in my seven years on proe i had to never use lock dimensions..strong dimensions work pretty fine.

proe also replaces weak dimesions with strong dimensions.

by saying all this i just want to say... proe is a misunderstood software. it has very powerful options.

i am also not liking the way creo has come up..i am pretty comfortable with proewildfire 4.0. , but i think creo 3.0 would be a big leap forward.

Top Tags