cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEEEELP! How to edit an .igs file on PTC Creo?

SOLVED

Re: Just moved to Creo 2.0 ...... I HATE IT!!! Does any else?

EXACTLY what I've been saying Larry.

Funny how no one likes circles represented as hexegons, huh

Ahhhh, remember the old AutoCAD setting for that......"viewres" wasn't it?

config.pro: represent_circles_and_arcs_and_splines_accurately *why_would_you_want_that definitely_for_sure

Highlighted

Over 10,000 views for a thread that is essentially mutilating a very long dead horse.

No matter how much complaining we do about the interface, I can tell you it's not going to go back. Too many people say they like it. True, they probably don't know what they're talking about... or they're kids... or just new users without any experience on the legacy software. But PTC is going to hang it's hat on the opinions of those who like the new interface and they're going to dig their heels in.

They won't go back.

I've tried to suggest a few reasonable alternatives:

• Giving people the option of designing their own interface
  • Making an option to allow the ribbon to slide to the left or right hand side (which could be used in conjunction with an option to hide the icons thus essentially giving you text-based menus again)
  • "Skins" which could be freely shared amongst users much the way Maya works

I can tell you there is Z E R O interest in pursuing any of those things. Your best bet... and maybe your only bet... is to join a Technical Committee and try to make your voice heard that way. Figure out what we can do to make the current interface less painful and suggest it as an enhancement.

I would much rather see a consistant standard across the board with the interface design. If every person could design their own interface you create an environment where a person leaves company X to start wtih company Z and the person has to learn all over again. This is not a value add to the business. There are some that actually want to go back to the fully txt based versions of Pro/E. I just can't understand ...

Hi Carl...

I respectfully disagree. When you can save your customizations and take them with you, it doesn't matter if you leave one company and move to another.

By allowing everyone to create their own custom environment and share it, you essentially open up a marketplace for ideas. The best ideas gain acceptance and the worst ones fall away. This has worked really, really well for major software applications like Maya. When the standard interface was klunky, slow, and hard to use, the users themselves developed their own streamlined versions that became more popular than the out-of-box version.

If you give people the opportunity to develop the tools themselves, they will do it. They'll do it out of a love for the software. They'll do it with a focus on productivity in the real world (which is sorely missing from PTC's various interfaces). And, best of all, they'll do it for free without adding ever more cost to your licensing fees.

The problem I have (and always HAVE had) is that PTC's interface seems like it was developed by someone who does not use the software in a production environment. The interface "feels" like a software guy sat down and tried to figure out what an engineer might need. You can almost hear them thinking "AH... I'm sure the engineer would like one less mouse click!" when that's not really anything we care about.

If the environment were opened up so user's could develop it as they saw fit, PTC would head off much of the criticism it routinely suffers when they decide to "fix" the interface. Personally, I'm sick of the interface changes. If I could customize my environment and know it was going to stay STABLE when we moved to Creo 3, 4, 5, etc... that stability would be worth it's weight in gold.

I see your point, but however in very large companies you gain valuable performance when all engineers are using the same interface... they teach each other... Standards make like easier and better for the greater whole. This is why (most) anywhere you go in the United States traffic lights have the same sequence and colors. If we let every state or city design their own traffic control process... it would trun out very bad. I have seen huge benifits by standardizing .. P.S. Most large companies willl not allow you to change the environment.. they want all engineers using the same interface, minimizing overall confusion, training and support issues....

P.S. I also agree that there is a disconnect between the developers and the end users... but it is a very difficult task... with all the products PTC has to offer and making sure not only they attempt to deliver quality applications they all have to work seamlessly with each other in an integrated fashion. The software matrix between the Creo Products,Windchill and Veiwing apps are overwhelming. I have no idea how PTC can actually orchestrate such a task. Not to mention keeping up with the external application like ERP, SAP, Oracle.. when you look at the big picture.. It is very amazing at what they are doing...

Very large companies are not the only ones using Creo. Imagine yourself in a position where you have to use different sofware packages. Trying to modify, and even overcome Creo's GUI then becomes a huge problem, which matters alot when you are a full time user of Creo.

You have to be able to set your own standarts, or else it gets really disturbing to work with Creo.

PTC is not the one who should even try to set standarts like these. Large companies alone should, and put them out to public, if they care.

I'd like to see a regular command line in Creo.