cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEEEELP! How to edit an .igs file on PTC Creo?

SOLVED

HEEEELP! How to edit an .igs file on PTC Creo?

Hello,

I am using PTC Creo Parametric 2.0 and I really need to edit an .igs file!

I can import it and open it but i cannot modify the geometry or like modify the original sketch...I am just able to move the parts.

What I need to do is to create another sketch over the geometry and the 3D I import, cause I need to draw and add another "piece" to it.

If anyone knows how to do it please reply!

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Just moved to Creo 2.0 ...... I HATE IT!!! Does any else?

Thanks for all the feedback. This was my first ever post and I’ve had some helpful replied and support. All in all its been a good vent for some of my frustrations.. to be constructive on some of the irritations:

- suggestions/feedback...? I could not find an official sections/feedback e-mail or reply page.

- 2D control drawings dimensions: when it comes to dimensions it now takes 4 clicks plus mouse movements/hovering to move a dim around and into a non default position. rather than 2 and a bit of hovering.

This may sound like a small thing to get pissed off about, but it made my time to complete my end of project tasks/work twice as long! And its not like it was not good before... Time is money and I don’t like spending it on what should be old rope.

- Open system window > purge (working directory): Its very helpful to purge your working directories when you got big asms and many components. Stops your drive filling up quick. Only accessible through Creo 2.0 when NO files are open.

214 REPLIES 214

Don't beat about the bush, there, Jeremy!

Still stuck on WF2 here...

I worked in Pro\Engineer 2000i, then in Pro\Engineer WF5.0 and now I work in Creo Parametric.

Personally I prefer the last one. I think that this release is far better than previous.

But it takes time to estimate its advantages.

Jeremy,

What are you designing? Are you having challenges with specific functionality?

Worst part I hate is having to Redo ALL the Mapkeys going from Wildfire 5 to Creo II. Hopefully I won't have to do this with the future releases...

Man, I hate hearing this. Here I was hoping that 2.0 would be better than creo. I hate creo enought that I've stayed on WF4.

Yes, every time they change something your mapkeys will not work. In all the other releases, it was a lot better since they didn't do such drastic (and stupid) GUI changes. Even the switch to the WF interface wasn't too bad, but going to creo means probably 1/2 my mapkeys, which I depend on, don't work. Pisses me off. Well, there goes my hope 2.0 is better. Guess I'll stick to WF4.....

How long have you given the new User Interface a chance? Yes it is different, but it really is better if you follow the methodology and use a lot more right clicking. You may find that your mapkeys aren't as useful as they were before. Mapkeys from version to version have always been a nightmare, but the benefits will far outweigh the time it takes to recreate them. You really need to give it a week or two to see the benefit of the new UI.

I wouldn't base the go-no-go on mapkeys alone.

We've been around this barn before...but seriously I think you can make Creo 2 just as easy to use as WF4 or WF5 if you take the time to customize the toolbar.

Yes, I agree you shouldn't have to spend the time, etc. I get it. I'm just saying it isn't so bad that you need to run screaming from it.

The way I see it, we've got no chance of going back to the good old days. We're going to roll forward to Creo 2, 3, etc and we'll either adapt to the tool or abandon it. You can't hide out on Wildfire forever. PTC won't let you and neither will your customers.

I think there are only two possible chances for us to move forward and be happy. One: We customize the interface as much as possible to make it as simple as we can. There are quite a few customizations that can be done to slim down the interface, de-clutter it, and return it to a less "ribbon-y" layout. Two: Write our own custom interface. I'm not even sure this is possible... but if it is, I'm going to try my hand at it.

Other than that, I think we have to grin and bear it... and apply a bit of ingenuity to customizing the interface to maximum benefit.

Thanks!

-Brian

What were you using before?

I agree with others, I went from 2000i to WF3. Didn't like it but I could manage. If I went cold from 2000i to Creo... I'd have been calling the credit card company to cancel payment.

Do try the upgrade tutorials. Worth every minute to re-orient yourself. Then go through them again in a week.

I still think the feedback in Creo is seriously lacking. I like smart prompts, and I like knowing where they show up on the screen. Start by opening up at least 2 message lines with the config.pro option visible_message_lines. You have to restart Creo to make it active, or just drag the bottom of the screen.

Thanks for all the feedback. This was my first ever post and I’ve had some helpful replied and support. All in all its been a good vent for some of my frustrations.. to be constructive on some of the irritations:

- suggestions/feedback...? I could not find an official sections/feedback e-mail or reply page.

- 2D control drawings dimensions: when it comes to dimensions it now takes 4 clicks plus mouse movements/hovering to move a dim around and into a non default position. rather than 2 and a bit of hovering.

This may sound like a small thing to get pissed off about, but it made my time to complete my end of project tasks/work twice as long! And its not like it was not good before... Time is money and I don’t like spending it on what should be old rope.

- Open system window > purge (working directory): Its very helpful to purge your working directories when you got big asms and many components. Stops your drive filling up quick. Only accessible through Creo 2.0 when NO files are open.