cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Help modeling a rasp with offset teeth

jwickham-2
1-Newbie

Help modeling a rasp with offset teeth

Creo is still relatively new to me. I am trying to model a curved rasp-like surface with rows of staggered teeth. However, I cannot figure out how to reasonably create the teeth profile. In Creo I have gotten up through the stage shown in Figure 1. Figure 2 shows what I am trying to make (modeled in a different CAD program). Attached is a parasolid file showing the geometry. My first thought was to extrude a cut from the side to create the profile, but doing so would take a chunk out of the next row of teeth. Any suggestions on a modeling strategy?

Troubleshooting+Rasp+5.JPG

Figure 1: This is where I get stuck in Creo.

Troubleshooting+Rasp+6.JPG

Figure 2: This is what the teeth should look like.

Troubleshooting+Rasp+4.JPG

Figure 3: Angled view of the rasp.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hi Jeff,

I'm in the car so I have to be more brief than usual...

1. Create a curved surface (not a solid but a surface) of the desired radius and size.
  2. Use Flatten Quilt to make it flat. (You have to add a point and there are some other bits so look this up in the help files).
  3. Thicken the flattened quilt to represent the rasp base thickness (the "backing" side).
  4. Build the rasp grid using any means you wish. Because you're now working on a flat surface this should be easy. I might try a fill pattern with a sketched boundary.
  5. Use the Solid Bend feature to bend the solid rasp geometry back to the original shape of your surface from step 1.

That's just a quick guess while I sit in traffic but it should get you started.

Good luck,

Brian

Top Tags