cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to Handle 'Model Only' changes

JWayman
1-Newbie

How to Handle 'Model Only' changes

Hello,

I am considering introducing the Name, Revision, Version and Release State of the relevant Pro/E model onto our drawings.

However, I can see this raising questions when we make a model change which does not affect the drawing. For example, imagine we have a standard pin that is used across a number of projects. One of the projects comes up with a new way of using the pin. In order to facilitate this new use, we need to place a Datum point on the end face and on the centreline of the pin. The point is used only to place the pin in the assembly on Pro/E, and is not shown in the drawing.

So, in order to finish the job, we need to demote the part to In Work, add the point and raise the Release Level of the part to Issued again. However, we do not want to change the drawing, but, if I do introduce the Revision and Version on the drawing, they will have changed.

How do you handle this problem?

Is the answer not to put the details on the drawing? If so, how do you ensure that no confusion ensues between revisons and versions when PDF's or prints of the drawings are referred to by one party and the Pro/E drawing file is referred to by another?

Or is the answer to Force-Check-In the modified model at the same Rev/Ver? (Assuming that is even possible)

We are using Intralink 3.3 here.

I would welcome your advice on how to approach this subject.

Regards,

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Why can't you Force-Check-In the model and bump up the version. So your changed model will go from inwork to issued with the revision staying the same but the version will be bumped up. I'm assuming the drawing will reflect the revision only.

Thank you, Santo.

That is one way we had considered. I am interested to see whether there are other ways, however.

Regards,

John

I am surprised that only Santo has answered this one, unless what he suggests is the Only Way, so that summarises what everyone does.

It is certainly one way of solving the problem, but I would like to think there are others.

Anyone?

Top Tags