cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

I cannot add imported parts to my assembly

mköller
1-Newbie

I cannot add imported parts to my assembly

Hello,

I am currently working on a project where i need to use imported parts/assemblies.

I imported from step files and used proper templates for that.

But here is the problem: if i try too add a one of these imported(and converted) parts in my assembly, it shows up and i can move it around, but i cannot select any planes or features to make a reference. It only accepts manual selecting.  Ive tried a lot but i dont know what else it could be.Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

i can place imported assemblies, but i cannot reference any parts on them later.

Hello,

from my experience imported STEP files do not come with Datum Planes or Features. It is only a solid block (If the originator has exported it as solids, could also just be shell or surfaces) and therefore it only has an imported geometry and a CSYS as standard. So if you want to use planes for constraints, my guess would be to make the planes at part level first.

Otherwise i use the various surfaces of the imported part and so far i have never had any issues placing them into assemblis. FYI i am using Creo 2 M120.

Regards

‌Thank you, i already tried that, the planes showed up but i couldnt select them. My guess now is that my part template is the reason for that. Any ideas where i can get iso part templates?

Hello,

I assume you mean ISO parts (you write ISO template?). If so PTC has a, in my opinion, limited parts library. As i wrote earlier i use Creo2 M120, and here i can go to the "PTC Creo Standard Parts Library" in the browser at start up screen. See pictures below. Is this what you are looking for?

Regards

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Hello

No thats not what i meant, with iso i meant i want to use / create a part with metric units. When you create a new part you can select a template.

I download the parts directly from the manufacturers page. There must be something i have forgotten while importing ... its actually weird that i can add imported subassemblies but no parts, it doesnt make sense to me. I just assumed it could be the prt template I use to create a metric part.

Top Tags