cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Import large Solidworks file to Creo Paramteric 6

Chris_Johnson
12-Amethyst

Import large Solidworks file to Creo Paramteric 6

Hi, 

I’m having a lot of trouble importing some legacy data to Creo Parametric 6. We previously used Solidworks as our primary CAD tool and had some horrible modelling practices that lead to some very large assemblies that can’t easily be broken down for ease of importing. When we use the file > open > import option on the .sldasm files Creo becomes unresponsive with 0% cpu usage. I’ve left it running over the weekend on one file but it’s still not imported. 
For comparison, I tried exporting the assembly in Solidworks as a STEP AP214 file and that imports reasonably quickly into Creo. However, that is not a sensible strategy for importing all of our legacy data, as Solidworks Task scheduler is too unreliable to mass export STEP files of all the required assemblies. 

Does anyone have any advice for how to import large assemblies like this into Creo from Solidworks (some 2016 data and some 2007 data)?

4 REPLIES 4

@Chris_Johnson 

You may try importing the assembly instead of Open. With Unite technology you can directly open the data SolidWorks in Creo and as that is not working, Importing as legacy option may Help. It is available under File > Open > Select Pull down next to Open and pick Import. 

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is exactly what we are already doing, to no avail.

These are the steps I tell my users to use when importing files into Creo.

1. Create a new Creo file using the new part number
  2. Under the Model tab of Creo, click Get Data, then Import
  3. Choose the SolidWorks part (*.sldprt) to be imported, press Import
  4. Leave the setting at Automatic and press OK
  5. Press the green Check mark in the Import tab

This is an interesting idea, do you find it works with assemblies as well?

Top Tags