cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Importing into Mircosoft Word

ptc-4855806
1-Newbie

Importing into Mircosoft Word

What’s the best method for importing drawing imagines into Microsoft word? We’ve got some imagines somebody wants to write a procedure on. Normally we had people to do this job but their no longer with our company. I’ve tried cgm but file comes in all white. PDF get tricky when you re size it. JPEG and Tiff are worse. Long time ago I remember when we loaded the software you could tie it together with Microsoft’s products but remember much about doing it. We’re on WF3.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

We use Snag It to do screen shots. A freeware tool that we also use is Greenshot to take screen shots. The captured image is sent to your clipboard, then you just paste it into your Word document.

What I do is export a tiff of a drawing. The issue is it's really large so it needs some post processing to make it manageable & readable.

I bring the file into Photoshop and resize it. You don't want pixel per pixel resize, you want it to Resample the image using bicubic. That results in a nice image that is small enough to be useful and still readable. By the way, you have to change the color mode. The tiff output from ProE defaults to index color. You need grayscale or rgb before you rescale the image.

[The Image Size dialog box in Photoshop. Image (c) 2012 Photoshop Essentials.com]

I no longer have Photoshop on my work computer, so if you are in the same boat, you could try gimp. Same holds true here, you have to change to grayscale or color mode Under the menu Image, Mode, RGB or Grayscale. Then pick Image, Scale Image, and enter a pixel size you want.
[cid:image004.png@01CDDC3A.A255FA90]

This is part of a E size drawing scaled down to 2000 pixels wide
[cid:image005.png@01CDDC3A.A255FA90]

This is my WF4 mapkey for creating the tiff.
Not applicable
(To:ptc-4855806)

I always like screen captures, just not Windows print screen because it
inserts a bitmap file. I use Gadwin's PrintScreen. Free at
download.cnet.com and it has all sorts of nice setting. I personally use
png files for import.

As a basic rule, IMO;

jpg files when you are dealing with color gradients and shading (i.e. it
was designed for photos)

.gif when you are looking at computer graphics where lines/edges are
distinct and you have less than a few dozen colors/gradients.

.png is newer and a bit better when resizing than .gif

Dan Harlan
Mechanical Engineer / CAD Administrator
480.940.0036 x178 Office
480.940.0039 Facsimile

481 N. Dean Avenue
Chandler, AZ 85226
dharlan@aitint.com
www.aitint.com

If you are using Windows 7, the Microsoft provided tool "Snipping Tool"
works very well for capturing screen shots.
dgallup
4-Participant

Always use a vector format, bitmaps make big files that don't scale well or they end up looking fuzzy. CGM used to be our standard but Microsucks killed support for it (despite what their help continues to say) due to some obscure security concern. I was able to go in and uninstall the update and get CGM to work untill the next automatic update did it again. We now create postscript files and then use GhostView to convert to encapsulated postscript. You have to do this one sheet at a time for multi sheet drawings but the upside is you get the exact same colors, linewidths, etc. as the hard copy. It scales perfectly and you can zoom in to your hearts content.

In Reply to Rob Cook:

What’s the best method for importing drawing imagines into Microsoft word? We’ve got some imagines somebody wants to write a procedure on. Normally we had people to do this job but their no longer with our company. I’ve tried cgm but file comes in all white. PDF get tricky when you re size it. JPEG and Tiff are worse. Long time ago I remember when we loaded the software you could tie it together with Microsoft’s products but remember much about doing it. We’re on WF3.

PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

Is is also possible to add a registry key to allow .cgm in Microsoft Office as described here:
dgallup
4-Participant

Linky no work. I did try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2479871 registry edit. No joy.

In Reply to Menso Heij:

Is is also possible to add a registry key to allow .cgm in Microsoft Office as described here: http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ01119_Message-_-Failed_to_import_----_or_-An_error_occurred_while_importing_----_while_importing_CGM_or_other_graphics.htm.

Best regards,
Menso

Top Tags