Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure Tool in Creo 2.0

Highlighted

Re: Measure Tool in Creo 2.0

Feature tab is completely hidden,this is one more drawback.

Highlighted

i do like that blue "i" button that gives that cool pop up window with the results.that deal has saved me a ton of scratch paper.

[the noise of trees clapping for creo]

Highlighted

Thanks to talk about the blue "i", I like it too. After you save the measurments, you can find them in analysis, it is good to display or hide the measurements as drafts.

Highlighted

Hello Brian,

I admid that my enthusiasm about the changes was pretty small either.

Mostly it was because it did no longer work the way I was used to it. But I found out that it is not worse, just different:

• Since I select with query select or from list most of the time anyway, geometry selection did not make much difference for me. I agree that it must be harder for those who work different. You will surely need the filters more often.
  • Before, I was used to click one reference in the dialog to replace it -> Now I click onto one item to remove again it and then the new one or I use RMB > Replace in the dialog
  • Before, I didn't had to press the CTRL button to select a second reference -> Now I have to, but it doesn't hurt much (not as much as an extra click would) and it is more consistent with the selection process in general
  • Previously I first told what type of measure I want -> Now I get a summary for me to use what I am interested in or I select it by RMB > Measure
  • And yes, I also liked to copy from the message log -> Now I select what I need in the summary and use RMB > Copy

As for why it has been removed: An internal SPR has been opened by Technical Support to check, why this happened. However, I believe the answer is rather obvious:

Instead of a single measure we are now getting a bunch of them in the Summary, so it is no longer so easy to output the result in a single line. And we already get the summary for the first selection. The second selection changes the output. So this would be quite some information, possibly cluttering the log.

Anyway, I have asked R&D, whether they want to consider adding a config.pro option to output summary information to our message log (people from Technical Support love the logs, as they often provide answers to querstions)

Highlighted

Are there any rogues at PTC that use SolidWorks for comparison? To know what they're competing against? Please look up a youtube video on using SolidWorks measure. You'll find that Creo is asking users to jump through many extra hoops to get the same results. Just the long click RMB you mention takes so much extra time. Please check out a video!

Highlighted

We still haven't made the giant leap to releasing work through Creo even though we have a lot of time spent in learning the software.

I have a couple comments to add to the discussion.

1) Without question the measurement tools are confusing to learn; sometimes you wonder whether you can even get from point A to point B. In the software we are replacing it is so simple and straight forward to get measurements. Why do they add so many layers of confusion?

2) Why is it that you don't see feedback in discussions like this from the product developement team. Brian is totally dependent on this software; and he represents many seats of Creo. At what point does the developement team care about how people actually use the software and why it is considered so unintuitive?

I like threads such as this as there are good ideas in how to make the best of confusing tools within Creo.

Highlighted

Paul,

Look at how many users are complaning out LOUD about this tool. A few. Therefore, no one from PTC will even blink their eye because of us. If the number would be at least 1000, then they would start listening. Until then, we have to live with it, like it or not.

Highlighted

I guess one of the dissillusioning things we ran into when making our switch was thinking that a company with greater resources such as PTC would equal greater responsiveness.

I do hope better days will follow.

Highlighted

Paul,

I'm interested on why you find this tool confusing. It's extremely simple to me - select measure, select item one, hold ctrl & select item two. You get a variety of data depending on the itmes you've selcted. You do have to expand both areas of the measure dialog box (something that should be expanded by default, IMO), but behond that I'm not seeing layers of complexity. Can you elaborate?

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Doug, the fact that you need to know to choose a CSYS to get simple X, Y, Z data is something you have to get use to. This is the primary use I have for the measure tool. Not two clicks (and having to hold the CTRL) but three. This is not obvious on 1st opening the measure tool.

Announcements
Message from Brian Thompson (PTC General Manager and DVP) regarding Creo Business Continuity plans.