Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure Tool in Creo 2.0

Highlighted

Re: Measure Tool in Creo 2.0

I've been using Pro/E for 17 years and I believe you've always had to choose a CS to get X, Y, Z data.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Highlighted

That explains why I never liked using the measure tool in any version of Pro|E

Highlighted

Doug

Brian gives a very good example of this where he lists the 9 steps needed to measure plane to surface or surface to surface.

I'm glad that you can use the tool without difficulty; perhaps it all will make sense in time. Part of it is what a person gets used to. I guess I'd still prefer doing the same operation in 4 steps. Inquiry/Surface to Surface/Select 2 surfaces.

I'm very green at this software yet I've seen it surpass the software I still use in some of it's capabilities. Still I hate how cumbersome it is.

Highlighted

Not to get too picky, but much of the difficulty Brian lists has to do with long standing issues with the selection method in Proe / Creo, not really the measure tool. I agree with him on that point, query select should give me the nearest item first, the next nearest second and so on. It doesn't adn if it did, that would make measuring much easier.

You can set your selection filter at the bottom right of the screen from 'All' to 'Surface' which would help.

I've used Proe / Creo since 1996, rev. 16. The measure tool in Creo is a significant improvement compared to what we had before.

--
LinkedIn

Those of you with maintenance, please vote on this idea:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1026

Highlighted

I agree, it takes more mouse clicks than it used to.

Another thing that bugs me is, if you leave a measurement from a part on the screen then it shows up in any assmbly that part is in. And if you click on #Manage Analysis # Hide All in that assembly, it doesn't hide it. It has happened that I see a measurement in an assembly that I don't remember where I made it, and I have to go through opening the parts until I find the part that has the measurement, the hide it. Now that is annoying.

Highlighted

i have 2 mapkeys, one is "ss" and the other "id", im sure most can figure out ss is to measure surface to surface and id is to measure id's and od's.

if i use ss mapkey and get a measurement, it seems to work fine even though i dislike having to use the control button to select my second surface but nonetheless it seems to work ok and i close the measure tool, if i use the id mapkey that seems to work just fine also, my problem comes in when i run the ss mapkey to measure from surface to surface i get my value and then WITHOUT closing the original measure menu i hit id to measure an id, this will crash my session everytime but here is the kicker, i can run the id mapkey without a measure menu already open and then run the ss mapkey and it wont crash, but if i run the id mapkey after the ss mapkey, 100% gauranteed i will crash it.

this is the error i get when i crash the session when running measure mapkeys without closing the menu box between measures:

fatal error occured. a traceback has been written to XXXXXXXXXtraceback.log please send it to technical support.

i also really hate the fact that i CANNOT close the measure menu with a simple couple of middle mouse clicks.

Carlos

Highlighted

Not using Creo yet - does ctrl-a still function as an all purpose reset?

Also - a plug to AutoIT, the all purpose tool that can eliminate window whack-a-mole with a routine for putting windows where you want them. I used it all the time to move the assembly component window to a second screen. So long pop-under; too small; always in the way; any number of other irritating conditions.

Highlighted

I'm curious if you've tried the new measure summary tool? I added it to the quick access toolbar so it's always available. I think it may be faster than your mapkeys.

Mapkey - 2 keystrokes, click, ctrl, click

Summary - click icon, click, ctrl, click.

The nice thing is you can use it for both measurements. If you click two surfaces, you get the distance between (and total surface area and angle, if they're planar). If you click the single diameter, you get the diameter measurement (and the surface area).

If you haven't played with the measurement summary tool, give it a try. It's a different workflow, but I find it much better than the old separate tools for each measurement type.

--
LinkedIn
Highlighted

you mean:

click icon, click, ctrl, click, expand, expand, resize window on the first measure of the session

and

click icon, click, ctrl, click, resize window on every measure after the first per session

i dont know man, i thought the measure tool worked just fine in WF.

i'm really trying to be open minded and as flexible as i can with creo, maybe i just havent got to the point where all the creo changes make sense in my head. its very frustrating for sure.

thanks for the reply Doug, i'll keep pushing forward with creo, i simply don't have any other option.

Carlos

Announcements
Message from Brian Thompson (PTC General Manager and DVP) regarding Creo Business Continuity plans.