Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure Tool in Creo 2.0

Re: Measure Tool in Creo 2.0

I'll chime in too, to boost the votes! (And I'm pretty green with Creo too..)

It does work, but it's not as easy or straight forward as you'd expect it to be. Holding the CTRL key is a bit of a wasted effort. I see no point. Pick one, pick the other, get results..

The 'measure' icon in the ribbon has a pull down to choose what type of measurement you want. But they all call up the same sumary dialog box... You can choose what type of measurement from the top of this summary box! Why, then, have the drop down list in the ribbon? Click "measure" in the ribbon, then click the measurement type you want from the dialog box, then click the items to measure..

The fact that it's just a tool bar at first, and you have to open it to see your references, then opeing it again to see the results, was badly thougth out. Just open the whole thing! It's not that big!

Having it also show the X, Y & Z distances without asking woudl be a great improvement too.. That way, I can pick a hole edge, adn another hole edge, and know taht my X is xx", my Y is xx", and my Z is xx" along with my overall distance. I then don't need to choose a path to project along..

And, lastly, (and not just with the measurement dialog box), Creo should be smart enough to NOT put a dialog / window under another dialog box / window! It seem they all default to display in the same location [upper left of the screen], so you're constantly dragging & moving the boxes.. stagger them, cascade them, tile them...

p

I'll go with my AutoIt plug (or Autohotkey, for those who prefer) as a way to manage the handling of windows.

Just run a script and let it wait for the window to show up where you don't like it and have the script move it. Similar results can also be gotten with VBA that's part of Excel or Word, if you are versed in those.

...a festering POS.

Really?

You have just horribly insulted all the true festering POSs (PsOS?) out there. It would have to be orders of magnitude better to be a festering POS!

Sometimes the result of a measurement is hidden! WHY? Seems to be random, or related to lunar phase or sunspots. or???

How does this get implemented? Does nobody even use this ...stuff? I think not.

I agree, there is precious little consistency. Some places the mmb double click dismisses the current process, someplaces you have to very precisely hit the tiny 'x'. Some places ctrl C/ctrl V works, some places you have to rmb, copy, rmb paste. So many mouse clicks. If I get carpal tunnel I'm directing my lawyer to this forum! Insane!

some day I'll meet a person and they'll reveal that they wrote code for this .... POS and one of us is gonna get a whuppin or at least a loud scolding.

In SW, you don't even have to invoke a measurement, just pick an edge and the length is right there. Pick two faces and the distance is right there. Invoke a measurement and like the man said, you get the x,y and z information.

I'll just add one last thing.. do PTC ever look at the other guys?! SW? Inventor? Catia? Adobe (They could learn A LOT from the AI GUI!)

They remind me of my dad... "I did it this way becasue it makes sence to me. Why do I / shoudl I care if you don't get it.."

Hi Brian,

Still getting used to this tool myself. Maybe after time the CTRL will be come second nature and some of it I like BUT:

• Agree with comments about order of selection however have to agree that this has always been true for ProE before Creo. Seems like it should have been fixed long before we got here. Like others I most often pick a surface or plane to measure from then pick other planes, edges, vertices which brings me to the second point.
  • If I measure from one item to another I need to delete the second item before I can CTRL select another item to measure to. Previously I could select the first item then select item after item to measure to all relating to the first. So this is slower for me.
  • I am looking at the Summary measurement and can see some benefit though even after I open the Measure Tool Summary results box the distance between the two points is at the end of the list so I have to drag the box larger to see it here. And yes if the small results box is behind it then time to play hide and go seek as some others mention.
  • Right now I have an issue that I am checking overlaid IGES measurement data to a part and the IGES data has surfaces created as part of the Faro Arm output. If I select such a surface to measure from it highlights red so I can't see through it to what I want to measure to and it doesn't matter what visibility mode I am in. Current workaround is to spin the model to look from the other side through Hidden Detail.

Gets back to usability. The software is powerful but if PTC want to promote productivity then it is these every day things that waste time for experienced people that surely should take priority. Having been to TC meetings (four years ago for the last one) I know that the people involved are genuinely trying to improve the software but the focus is on functionality whereas I think (and an earlier comment said) that much could be gained with smaller usability enhancements (consistency, user friendly selection, non-disappearing windows and info boxes)

Regards.

Highlighted

Are there any rogues at PTC that use SolidWorks for comparison? To know what they're competing against? Please look up a youtube video on using SolidWorks measure. You'll find that Creo is asking users to jump through many extra hoops to get the same results. Just the long click RMB you mention takes so much extra time. Please check out a video!

tilll creo elements/pro 5.0 there used to be blue,red and green lines..showing the different coordinate measurements....why were they removed?..they were very very helpful...

I recently tried to submit a "Project Idea", or an enhancement request, for the measurement tool, but that in and of itself is confusing! After searching, I haven't come across a Project Idea for the measurement tool. Maybe someone else could submit it.

Doug, have you tried  measure_dialog_expand   set to yes ?  The results window is expanded by default on ever measurement.

Yes, I'm using that now.  However, back in 2013 when this post was written, it wasn't yet available.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Announcements